Healthy Schools Challenge
Mission: Healthy Kids, a partnership of Kohl's Cares® and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, offered a program to Wisconsin schools this fall focused on physical activity. More than 27,000 students at 210 schools in 45 Wisconsin counties registered to participate in the Challenge.
Educators created their own challenges or chose from these three outlined challenges:
- Walk Across Wisconsin
- Activity Pyramid Challenge
- Brain Break
The challenge guidelines included a rubric to guide educators through the process. They then completed a Challenge Summary to qualify for classroom awards. Check out the Choose your challenge page to access the challenge materials and additional educator resources.
$500 Challenge Grant Winners:
The following three schools received a $500 Challenge Grant to continue their physical activity work in the classroom: Mount Horeb Intermediate Center, Mount Horeb School District, Mount Horeb; St. James School, Diocese of Madison, Madison; Evergreen Elementary School, Holmen School District, Holmen.
Healthy Schools Challenge Winners:
Following are the top schools by county that qualified for classroom awards to further their physical activity:
- Barron County: Prairie Farm Elementary, Prairie Farm School District, Barron
- Brown County: Bay View Middle School, Howard Suamico School District, Green Bay
- Dane County: New Century School, Verona School District, Verona; St James School, Madison Catholic Diocese, MadisonDunn County: Mound View Elementary School and Elk Mound Middle School, Elk Mound Area School District, Elk Mound
- Iowa County: Mineral Point Elementary, Mineral Point School District, Mineral Point
- Kewaunee County: Algoma Elementary, Algoma School District, Algoma
- La Crosse County: Evergreen Elementary, Holmen School District, Holmen
- Manitowoc County: Lincoln School, Wilson Junior High and Monroe Elementary School, Manitowoc Public School District, Manitowoc
- Marathon County: John Muir School, Wausau School District, Wausau; Weston Elelmentary, DC Everest School District, Schofield
- Milwaukee County: Clement Avenue School, Hopkins Lloyd School, Manitoba School, Victory and Italian Immersion School, Pierce School, (Riverwest), Neeskara Elementary School, Bethune School, Sherman Multicultural Arts School, Kluge Elementary, Allen-Field Elementary, Milwaukee Public School District, Milwaukee; St Gregory The Great School, Archdiocese of Milwaukee; Kosciuszko Elementary School, Cudahy School District, Cudahy; Lane School, West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, West Allis
- Racine County: Union Grove Elementary School, Union Grove School District, Union Grove
- St. Croix County: Greenfield School, Baldwin-Woodville School District, St. Croix
- Waukesha County: St. Paul's Lutheran School, Muskego Norway School District, Muskego
- Sheboygan County: Cedar Grove Belgium School, Cedar Grove Belgium School District, Belgium
Next Healthy Schools Challenge: Nutrition begins February 4, 2019
The next Healthy Schools Challenge on Nutrition begins February 4, 2019. Check back in early January for more information and sign up to receive email updates.