Children's Hospital of Wisconsin offers state-of-the-art Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs) in two locations: Milwaukee and Neenah, Wis.
- Our Milwaukee NICU, is a state-of-the-art, Level IV, 69-bed unit, the only one in the state co-located with a birth center. We care for more than 700 infants with various health problems every year. We recently opened the first phase of our redesigned and expanded NICU. The second phase will be complete in early 2017.
- Our Fox Valley NICU, is a Level III, 22-bed NICU unit. The staff provides critical care to premature and critically ill infants in Northeast Wisconsin.
Why choose Children's for your child's neonatal care?
National leader in neonatal care
Among the nation's best in U.S. News & World Report's 2015-16 Best Children's Hospitals report
Parents magazine ranked preemie care at Children's #1 in the nation in its 2013 Best Children's Hospitals survey
Largest level IV NICU in the state
Coordination & proximity of care
Only level IV NICU in WI located directly next to a birth center
Fetal Concerns Center of Wisconsin (FCCW) coordinates all the care a pregnant mother needs if she or her infant are at high risk or have a known problem. The FCCW team also performs fetal surgery to treat various conditions while the baby is still in the womb.
- All-encompassing team approach including nutrition, feeding and speech team, physical and occupational therapy services
- Devoted to family-centered care, with family friendly support, parent participation in rounds, education sessions, breastfeeding assistance, a focus on bonding and kangaroo care
- Continuity of care from admission to discharge
All the top specialists your child could need
- Team approach to specialty care from all areas of pediatric medicine including surgery, pulmonary, GI, genetics and neurology
- All specialist physicians are linked with outpatient clinics for seamless transition of care after discharge
- Highly trained and competent nursing staff many with specialty certification
Commitment to exceptional quality and outcomes
- High survival rates as compared to other NICUs
- Our Milwaukee and Fox Valley hospitals have both earned Magnet recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), which is awarded for demonstrating sustained superiority in nursing care
- Our Milwaukee NICU and Fox Valley NICU are members of the Vermont Oxford Network, which allows us to share date to improve the quality and safety of medical care for newborns
- Our Milwaukee NICU is a member of the Children's Hospitals Neonatal Consortium, which is dedicated to improving care and outcomes for infants in Children's Hospitals' Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs) through sharing of data, information, and ideas for benchmarking, research and development of safety and quality improvement initiatives
Monitoring and follow-up boost outcomes
Second opinions welcome
- Second opinions help parents confirm that recommended treatment is right for their child. They also can surface other options to explore – even if treatment is already underway. Request a second opinion by calling (414) 266-2950.
Superior support for traveling families
For families from out of the area, we’re here to help so that getting the care you need is as comfortable and convenient as possible. Our Access Center helps families coordinate all aspects of their visits to Children's Hospital.