Quality and outcomes reports
Overall volumes and outcomes | Volumes and outcomes by procedure | Patient experience | Additional resources
Our safety and quality reports help families and partner providers make the most informed health care decisions for the benefit of their children and patients. We follow the Institute of Medicine's Six Dimensions of Care to structure our quality improvement efforts.
To provide feedback, or for more information on our quality data, email us or call (414) 266-6556.
High volumes and 3-star outcomes
Our heart specialists are recognized leaders in treating children with complex congenital heart problems. As our reputation continues to expand across the United States, more families are choosing Children's Hospital of Wisconsin to treat their child's heart condition. In 2014, Children's Hospital provided cardiac care at 15,174 clinic visits to patients from 33 states.
The congenital heart surgery program at Children's Hospital is "3-star" rated by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons for outcomes (the highest rating possible), placing us among the top 5 percent of programs in the country. We continue to be among the highest volume congenital heart surgery programs in the nation, performing well above the 250 procedures commonly associated with high-volume programs. Research shows that programs with higher volumes tend to have higher success rates.
Surgical outcomes and volumes for select procedures
Outcomes data is available for many specific heart surgery procedures performed at Children's Hospital. Links to the information over the last five reporting periods are provided below. For information about other procedures, ask your physician, contact us online or call us at (414) 607-5280 (toll free at (877) 607-5280).
We want our patients and families to have the best care experience possible. To continue to provide excellent care, we ask our guests to fill out a survey rating their care experience. The rating scale ranges from 0 to 10 where 0 is the worst experience and 10 is the best. We strive to achieve a 9 or 10 rating from every patient and family that chooses our care which is represented in the graph below.
This cardiology graph contains data from the following Children's Hospital of Wisconsin locations: Milwaukee, Delafield, Fox Point, Fox Valley, Kenosha and New Berlin.
More resources regarding quality
What do nationally respected experts say about measuring quality and the quality of heart care at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin? Here are just a few of the resources that may surface as you learn more about your child's condition and treatment options.
- STS Congenital Heart Surgery Public Reporting, Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- "Pediatrics: Cardiology & Heart Surgery Scorecard – Children's Hospital of Wisconsin," U.S. News and World Report, June 2015
- "Transparency and Public Reporting in Congenital and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery | Expert Analysis," ACC.org, June 11, 2015
- "Is your pediatric heart hospital keeping secrets? We have answers," CNN.com, June 5, 2015
- Policy Statement on Referrals to a Congenital Heart Surgeon by the American Academy of Pediatrics Surgical Advisory Panel, pediatrics.aappublications.org, January 27, 2014
- "Risk and Prevalence of Developmental Delay in Young Children With Congenital Heart Disease", pediatrics.aappublications.org, February 2, 2014