The Herma Heart Center at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is the largest pediatric cardiac center in the state and the largest pediatric heart transplant program in the country (by volume). Researchers at the Herma Heart Center are credited with developing the first home monitoring program that tracks the progress and recovery of hypoplastic left heart syndrome patients. The hospital also has one of the best HLHS survival rates worldwide. Researchers at Herma also developed a blood test to predict heart transplant rejection.
Families worldwide trust the Herma Heart Center for compassionate, comprehensive and cutting edge cardiac care for their children, before birth and into adulthood.
Kids deserve the best heart care. Our physicians and staff provide the highest quality care and consistently achieve extraordinary outcomes – even for the most complex cases. Consider these facts:
Learn more about our quality and outcomes.
- Our pediatric heart surgery survival rates are among the best in the country.
- Last year, patients from 37 states and as far away as Ireland came to the Herma Heart Center for cardiac care.
- We are a leader among our peers when comparing outcomes with benchmarking by both the Pediatric Health Information System and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, two of the most respected outcomes benchmarking organizations in the country. Among others, this high-ranking data includes:
- The Herma Heart Center has the best published survival rates worldwide for treating hypoplastic left heart syndrome, one of the most complex forms of congenital heart disease. As recently as 1980, no babies born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome lived to see their first birthday. Research at the Herma Heart Center helped to change that. Today, the vast majority of these children are leading happy and healthy lives.
Highly specialized congenital heart surgeons, pediatric cardiologists, pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists and pediatric critical care specialists at the Herma Heart Center offer the best-practice care for your child that only a major pediatric heart center like ours can provide. For adults born with congenital heart defects, our Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program is one of the few in the nation and is staffed by specialists uniquely trained to care for these patients. Expertly trained, experienced and highly credentialed leaders in their fields, our doctors are among the best in the nation and consistently ranked among The Best Doctors in America.
Learn more about the Herma Heart Center doctors and read why choosing care from pediatric heart specialists is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and outcomes. The Herma Heart Center is a volume leader in treating the most common to the most complex heart conditions. We are:
Not only do we offer the latest heart care techniques, we pioneer them and teach them to others. Care teams from across the world come to the Herma Heart Center to view our care techniques and shadow our caregivers. For instance:
- The Herma Heart Center physicians created the “virtual crossmatch” approach for pediatric heart transplants, even coining the term in 2004. Crossmatching tests transplant candidates and potential donors for compatibility in order to minimize the chance of rejection. It’s now the international standard of care for heart transplants because the approach leads to better outcomes and shorter waiting times, which means more children can get transplants sooner and fewer organs go unused.
- Our physicians also developed the practices standardly used throughout the world for treating hypoplastic left heart syndrome and dramatically boosting survival rates. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome is an uncommon congenital heart defect in which the heart’s left ventricle is severely underdeveloped.
Learn more about Herma Heart Center research.
We all know children are not little adults — it takes specialized training and expertise to care for their developing systems and tiny anatomy. We’re the only pediatric heart care program in Wisconsin where families can rest assured that all caregivers are fulltime fetal, neonatal and pediatric experts, whether providing routine diagnostics or the most complex treatments. We’ll make your child and your family feel comfortable and at ease.