Herma Heart Center, in the Milwaukee, Wis. area, is one of the country’s top destination programs for medical and surgical treatment of all complex pediatric heart disease and congenital heart defects from pre-birth to adulthood. Our comprehensive program is internationally recognized for physician expertise, vast experience and consistently high survival rates.
Families worldwide trust Herma Heart Center for compassionate, comprehensive and cutting edge cardiac care for their children. Here are just a few of the reasons:
Kids deserve the best heart care. Our physicians and staff provide the highest quality care and consistently achieve extraordinary outcomes – even for the most complex cases. Consider these facts:
- Our pediatric heart surgerysurvival rates are among the best in the country.
- We are a highly-ranked leader among our peers when comparing outcomes with benchmarking by both the Pediatric Health Information System and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, two of the most respected outcomes benchmarking organizations in the country.
- Herma Heart Center has the best published survival rates worldwide for treating hypoplastic left heart syndrome, one of the most complex forms of congenital heart disease in which half of the baby’s heart is missing.
Learn more about our quality and outcomes.
Our pediatric cardiologists, fetal cardiologists and pediatric heart surgeons are among the best in the nation. Expertly trained, experienced and highly credentialed leaders in their fields, our doctors are consistently ranked among The Best Doctors in America. Plus, since we have three times more fetal and pediatric cardiologists and pediatric heart surgeons than any other hospital in the state, we offer expertise and treatment options not available elsewhere in Wisconsin.
Learn more about Herma Heart Center doctors.
Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and outcomes. Herma Heart Center is a volume leader in treating the most common to the most complex heart conditions. We are:
Not only do we offer the latest heart care techniques, we pioneer them and teach them to others. Care teams from across the world come to Herma Heart Center to view our care techniques and shadow our caregivers. For instance:
- Herma Heart Center physicians created the “virtual crossmatch” approach for pediatric heart transplants, even coining the term in 2004. Crossmatching tests transplant candidates and potential donors for compatibility in order to minimize the chance of rejection. It’s now the international standard of care for heart transplants because the approach leads to better outcomes and shorter waiting times, which means more children can get transplants sooner and fewer organs go unused.
- Our physicians also developed the practices standardly used throughout the world for treating hypoplastic left heart syndrome and dramatically boosting survival rates. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome is an uncommon congenital heart defect in which the heart’s left ventricle is severely underdeveloped.
Learn more about Herma Heart Center research.
We all know children are not little adults — it takes specialized training and expertise to care for their developing systems and tiny anatomy. We’re the only pediatric heart care program in Wisconsin where families can rest assured that all caregivers are fulltime fetal, neonatal and pediatric experts, whether providing routine diagnostics or the most complex treatments. We’ll make your child and your family feel comfortable and at ease.