When Shanie was 16 months old, she grabbed hold of a bowl of scalding soup from the kitchen table and poured it down her front. She suffered second- and third-degree burns to her body including part of her jaw, chest and underarm.
"It's a reminder for everyone with little ones around to keep anything hot well out of their reach," said Shanie's dad, Meng. "Hot items in the kitchen can be very dangerous if kids get to them."
Children's Hospital is a Level I pediatric trauma center, able to provide the best care to all injured kids. The American College of Surgeons grants Level I verification to hospitals that provide the highest quality of care and are involved in injury prevention, research and education.
Shanie is a happy and active toddler. She likes to run around and play with her cousins, baby dolls and toys. The scars from her burn are barely visible today.
Visit our health information section, for tips to prevent burns and other common childhood injuries.
Read other children's stories.