Student information for clinical groups and preceptees
We are excited you have decided to complete part of your nursing education at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Pediatric nursing is an ever changing and fulfilling career. We are committed to providing the best possible pediatric nursing learning experience.
All student placements must be made through an affiliated school of nursing faculty members. We do not accept requests directly from students.
As a student doing a learning experience here at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, you must review the National Patient Safety Goals, Policy and Procedures, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin unit profiles and "What you need to know" for the unit/area you are assigned to. You must also view the student orientation and clean hands slide shows before your first day.
- Clinical Nursing Student Checklist: "To do" list.
- Undergraduate & Graduate Preceptee Checklist: "To do" list.
Policies and Procedures
- Privacy confidentiality patient information.
- Dress code.
- Student placement policy.
- Safety policy.
- Nursing student policy.
- Children's room and phone numbers.
- Alternative learning experiences.
- What you need to know:
- Web connections.
- Children's Hospital campus map.
- Children's Clinical Site Evaluation
Student Orientation Information (Mandatory)
Click on the picture to start the prezi presentation; start on the pirate ship's top sail to begin.
- Child Life nursing student orientation.
- Medication online course.
- Medication practice test.
- Medication math.
- SBARR online tutorial.
- PAR Excellence online tutorial.
- PAR Excellence NEW for 2011.
- Pre-surgical care.
- Post-surgical care.
- Care of the surgical patient with a drain.
- Nurse saver system.
- Behavioral challenges
- Assessing and managing pain (Mandatory).
- Patient safety: National Patient Safety Goals.
- Developmental tips for medication administration.
- Developmental "Just in Time" sheets
Providing education and care to babies and their families requires being up-to-date and comfortable talking with parents and caregivers about the importance of safe sleep practices. Our students need to be educated and help us to promote infant safe sleep whenever possible. Click on link: Infant Safe Sleep Education.
- NEW! Safe Sleep Audit Tool: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2013SafeSleepAudits
- Safe Sleep Positive Feedback Form.
- Safe Sleep Correction Feedback Form.