D. Gail McCarver, MD
Neonatologist, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin; professor and co-section chief, Medical College of Wisconsin.
Clinical Pharmacology, Pharmacogenetics and Teratology
Environmental health, drug metabolizing enzymes, pharmacogenetics, toxicogenetics.
Medical degree, University of Tennessee, Center for the Health Sciences, Memphis, 1978; residency, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, 1979-1981; fellowship, Neonatology, University of Tennessee, Center for the Health Sciences, Memphis; fellowship, Clinical Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Nashville, 1986-1989.
National Board of Medical Examiners, 1979; American Board of Pediatrics (General Pediatrics), 1985; American Board of Pediatrics (Sub-board of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine), 1987.
American Academy of Clinical Toxicology Research Award, 1988; Burroughs Wellcome Supplemental Stipend Award, 1988-1989; Society for Pediatric Research-Medical student research program, 1994; Nominated for Teacher of the Year Award-Department of Pediatrics Residency Program, 1996; Society for Pediatric Research-Medical student research program, 1997; Manuscript abstracted and selected for the cover of Alcohol Research (international journal abstracting the most outstanding articles in scientific literature on alcohol), 1998; Mentored Student Award for Jennifer Yauck, MS, from the Regulatory and Safety Evaluation Specialty Section of the Society of Toxicology, 2003.
- Das UG, Cronk CE, Martier SS, Simpson PM, and McCarver DG. Alcohol Dehydrogenase 2*3 Affects Alterations in Offspring Facial Morphology Associated with Maternal Ethanol Intake in Pregnancy. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research. 2004; 28 (10):1598-1606.
- Koukouritaki SB, Poch MT, Cabacungan ET, McCarver DG and Hines RN. Discovery of Novel Flavin-Containing Moonoxygenase 3 (FMO3) Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms and Functional Analysis of Upstream Haplotype Variants. Molecular Pharmacology. 2005; 68(2):383-392.
- Yang F, Tong X, McCarver DG, Hines RN and Beard DA. Population-based Analysis of Methadone Distribution and Metabolism Using an Age-Dependent Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic Model. Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics. 2006; 33(4):485-518.
- Nong A, McCarver DG, Hines RN and Krishnan K. Modeling Interchild Differences in Pharmacokinetics on the Basis of Subject-Specific Data on Physiology and Hepatic CYP2E1 Levels: a Case Study with Toluene. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2006, 214(1):78-87.
- Gaedigk A, Ndjountche L, Divakaran K, Bradford LD, Zineh I, Oberlander TF, Brousseau DC, McCarver DG, Johnson JA, Alander SW, Riggs KW and Leeder JS. Cytochrome P450D6 (CYP2D6) Gene Locus Heterogeneity: Characterization of Gene Duplication Events. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2007; 81(2):242-251.
- Shadley JD, Divakaran K, Munson K, Hines RN and McCarver DG. Identification and Functional Analysis of Novel Human CYP2E1 Far Upstream Enhancer. Molecular Pharmacology. 2007, 71(6):1630-1639.
- Brousseau DC, McCarver DG, Drendel AL, Divakaran K and Panepinto JA. The Effect of CYP2D6 Polymorphisms on the Response to Pain Treatment for Pediatric Sickle Cell Pain Crisis. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2007; 150(6):623-626.
- Role of CYP2E1 and ADH in Human TRI Teratogenicity, principal investigator, National Institutes of Health.
- Regulation of Drug Metabolizing Enzyme Ontogeny, Co-investigator, NIH, National Institute of General Medical Sciences and National Institute of Child Health and Development.
Children's Research Institute
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Phone: (414) 955-4322
Fax: (414) 955-6651
Investigator in the areas of: