Kathleen J. Sawin, DNS, CPNP, FAAN
Professor and joint research chair in the nursing of children, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee College of Nursing.
Adolescent protective factors (attitude, hope, communication efficacy), adolescents, cancer, child and family adaptation to chronic illnesses, diabetes, epilepsy, family functioning, functional status, instrument development, mixed method designs (quantitative/qualitative), neuropsychology functioning, non-categorical approach to issues for child/family dealing with chronic conditions, quality of life, self-management, spina bifida, spinal cord injury.
Bachelor of science, Nursing, University of North Dakota School of Nursing, Grand Forks, 1968; master of science, Sociology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1989; master of science, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, 1975; doctorate of nursing science, Indiana University, Indianapolis, 1987; postdoctoral fellowship, Behavioral Health-Child and Family Adaptation to Chronic Illness, Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, 1998-2000; fellow, Training Program for Leadership in Adolescent Health, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, 1998-2000.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, National Pediatric Certification Board, Family Nurse Practitioner, American Nurses Credential Association.
American Association of Spinal Cord Injury's Journal 2003 Article Of The Year Award for "Correlates of Functional Status, Self-management and Developmental Competence in Adolescents with Spina Bifida;" University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee College of Nursing Outstanding Research Achievement Award; Southern Nursing Research Society's 2003 Leadership in Research Award; Distinguished Practitioner, National Academies of Practice; Outstanding Faculty Award, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing; fellow, American Academy of Nursing.
- Buran CF, Sawin KJ, Brei TJ, Fastenau PS. Adolescents with Mylelomengiocele: Their Activities, Beliefs, Expectations and Perceptions. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology. 2004; 46:244-252.
- Sawin KJ, Bellin M, Buran CF, Brei TJ, Fastenau PS. The Experience of Parenting an Adolescent with Spina Bifida. Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2003; 27:173-185.
- Sawin KJ, Buran CF, Brei TJ, Fastenau PS. Correlates of Functional Status, Self-management and Developmental Competence in Adolescents with Spina Bifida. Spinal Cord Injury Nursing. 2003; 20(2):72-86.
- Sawin KJ, Buran CF, Brei TJ, Fastenau PS. Factors Associated with Quality of Life in Adolescents with Spina Bifida. Journal of Holistic Nursing. 2002; 20:279-304.
- Sawin KJ, Buran CF, Brei TJ, Fastenau PS. Sexuality Issues in Adolescents with a Chronic Neurological Condition. The Journal of Perinatal Education. 2002; 11:22-34.
- Sawin KJ, Lannon SL, Austin JK. Camp Experiences and Atitudes Toward Epilepsy: A Pilot Study. Journal of Neuroscience Nurses. 2001; 33(1):57-64.
- A Longitudinal Study Of Adolescents With Spina Bifida: A Planning Grant, Spina Bifida Association of America, principal investigator.
- Secondary Conditions And Adaptation In Spina Bifida, Association of University Centers on Disability and CDC Special Collaborative Grants Project, site principal investigator and training director.
- Urologic and Quality of Life Outcomes in Children and Adolescents with a Neurogenic Bladder: A Pilot Study, Rehabilitation Nursing Foundation, mentor and co-investigator.
- A Longitudinal Study Of Adolescents And Young Adults With Spina Bifida, American Association of Spinal Cord Injury Nurses, principal investigator.
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
PO Box 1997
Milwaukee, WI 53201
Phone: (414) 266-3615
Fax: (414) 266-2720
Investigator in the areas of: