In this section
Cystic Fibrosis Research
The Milwaukee Cystic Fibrosis Care Center, which includes Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and Froedtert Hospital, is one of 89 care centers across the nation accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as a CF Therapeutics Development Center. All of our Cystic Fibrosis providers are actively involved in research, including roles as Principal Investigators and Sub-Investigators. The CF research team at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin is led by Research Manager, Theresa Kump and includes two Research Coordinators, Pat Hastings and Laura Roth.
What is research?
Research helps us find ways to improve diagnosis and treatment for people with CF. There are multiple types of research studies going on at our center:
- Clinical Trials: Participants receive specific interventions such as medicine or devices. Clinical trials (or studies) are critical to developing new treatments for Cystic Fibrosis.
- Observational Studies: Investigators assess health outcomes in groups of participants. We use observational studies to learn about patients’ health over a period of time.
- Translational Research: Investigators use information learned from studying samples in a lab to create potential treatments for disease.
Who can participate?
Each research study has guidelines about who can join. This is known as inclusion and exclusion criteria. These guidelines may be based on factors like genes, age, treatments, etc
Where can I find a research study that’s right for me?
- You may be asked if you or your child wish to participate in a study at our center.
- Ask your care team about research studies that may be a good fit for you and your family.
- The CF Foundation’s Clinical Trial Finder is an interactive search tool that allows you to search for CF research studies based on location, age, mutation and more. Enter some information about yourself or your child and a summary of matching studies is returned, along with a list of participating study sites.
Cystic Fibrosis Research Team
| Theresa Kump