In this section
A collaborative approach to child maltreatment in Milwaukee
Milwaukee Child Advocacy Center (MCAC)
The Milwaukee Child Advocacy Center, located in downtown Milwaukee in the Family Peace Center, brings together a specially trained team of professionals to investigate cases of child maltreatment. The CAC is a child-focused location that provides comprehensive services in the form of specialized medical exams, forensic interviews, advocacy services and health screenings for children in out of home placements. Through extensive services, the CAC enables children and their families to heal from abuse and advocates for safe and secure living environments.
Family assistance resources
- Child Advocacy Center Handbook (English, Spanish and Hmong)
- Child Advocacy Center Brochure (English, Spanish and Hmong)
- Wisconsin Crime Victim Compensation Program
- Milwaukee Justice Center
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Wisconsin Department of Justice SAFE Fund
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- National Sexual Assault Hotline
- MPS Parent’s Guide to Community Resources in Milwaukee
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Community Services
- City of Milwaukee Health Department
- City of West Allis Public Health Department
- Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office
- Milwaukee County Law Enforcement Executives Association
- Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Department
- Milwaukee Police Department
- Milwaukee Public Schools
- Sexual Assault Treatment Center, Aurora Sinai Medical Center
- West Allis Police Department
- West Allis/West Milwaukee School District
- Wraparound Milwaukee
How to give
Whether you make a donation, support an event or give your time, your investment in Children's Hospital is critical in helping us serve kids and families, making an impact across many lifetimes. Thank you for helping us provide the best to kids.
Your donations can make a child’s experience at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin even better. A popular option is to donate new, unused toys, making our kids’ stays more comfortable, helping them heal. For more information refer to our toy donation guidelines.
Our most popular donated items include:
- Arts and crafts
- Board games
- Coloring books and crayons
- Elastic pants of both children and adult sizes
- Nail polish and scented lotions
- Push button toys for infants
- Sports balls
- Stuffed animals
- Underwear and socks of both children and adult sizes
- Video games
If you have additional questions, we encourage you to email JFonferek@chw.org or call (414) 277-8995.
Dropping off your gift
Gifts may be dropped off at the front desk of the Milwaukee Child Advocacy Center. Please put a note on your bag or box indicating that the donation is for the Milwaukee CAC. If you anticipate delivering more than two bags or boxes, please call (414) 277-8995 in advance so we are prepared to accept your donation.
Become a volunteer
Volunteers actively engage with children of all ages in the MCAC waiting room. Games, books, crafts, and toys are available to help keep children entertained until they can be seen for their appointment. When needs have been met in the waiting room, volunteers help to support other valuable tasks as determined by staff.
Through volunteering at the MCAC, volunteers will gain experience in supervising a diverse population of children. Volunteers will also benefit from observation of staff at the MCAC and help to support pertinent tasks for the clinic.
Volunteers must complete a three hour training session and at least one two-hour shift weekly. Volunteers must also commit to six months or agree to requirements of the affiliated school program.
Child Advocacy Center volunteers must be:
- Comfortable supervising children of all ages, from birth to age 18
- Independent and able to take initiative
- Actively engaged with patients in waiting area
- Willing to perform office tasks with little direction
Medical and social work student opportunities are available. Please contact (414) 277-8980 for more information.
If you suspect abuse
Please call Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services at (414) 220-SAFE (7233) or local law enforcement to make a report.
Making an appointment
Referrals to the Milwaukee CAC must be made through Child Protective Services, law enforcement or physician prior to scheduling an appointment.
For more information
If you have additional questions about community resources, support services, or referral process when there are abuse concerns please feel free to call (414) 277-8980 and speak with an advocate at the Milwaukee CAC.