In this section
Resources and education for foster parents
There is a range of resources and educational opportunities for foster parents and families.
Discounts for foster parents
Check out local businesses that offer discounts to foster parents.
Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services
Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services (DMCPS) works with families to ensure the safety and well-being of children. With its many community partners, DMCPS provides services to families in crisis that help keep children safely in the home. When it is necessary, DMCPS looks to foster and adoptive families to provide temporary and permanent homes for children who cannot live with their parents.
Read the State of Wisconsin Foster Parent Handbook to learn more.
Foster Family Newsflash
The Foster Family Newsflash is a monthly publication that offers tips and provides resources to foster parents. Read the current version of Foster Family Newsflash (PDF).
Check out our educational videos related to foster parenting.
Foster parent training opportunities
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Child Welfare Partnership for Professional Development is part of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Helen Bader School of Social Welfare, in collaboration with the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services, Division of Children and Families and the Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services. The program provides training and development programs to public child welfare staff employed by the DMCPS and its private partner agencies, and foster/adoptive families licensed by the DMCPS.
Just in Time training through Florida’s Quality Parenting Initiative provides additional on line training opportunities around a variety of topics.
- Child Care Search
- Special Needs Child Care Program
- Young Star Ratings
- Young Star tiered reimbursement
- MyWIChildCare Tips and Other Useful Information for Parents
- How do I apply for Wisconsin Shares Child Care Subsidy?
- Watch this Video: Orientation to Children's Court - Milwaukee.
- Children's Court information for foster families
- Foster Parent appeals rights
- Rehab Review process
Medical, dental, mental health
- Milwaukee Child and Family Counseling & Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Community Services
- Mental Health America of Wisconsin Therapist Search
Milwaukee Public Schools
Resources for families and children
- Birth to Three
- Natural hair blogs
- Preparing children for transition
- Training workbook/hair and skin care
Support for foster parents
- Complaint resolution process
- Foster Parent Referral Program
- Foster Care and Adoption Resource Center
- Foster Parent Advisory Council
- Foster Parent Liaison/Advocate
- Initial placement checklist
- Milwaukee Child Welfare partnership
- National Foster Parent Association
- Reunification preparation
- Robyn's Nest
Learn about foster care and adoption.