In this section
Costs of child abuse
- Four children die each day from abuse or neglect-a cost that is incalculable
- Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of four
- $80 billion to address child abuse and neglect in 2012.
- Child abuse and neglect affect us all
- Adults who were abused or neglected as children are more likely to go on to commit crimes
- Only $1.06 per family is spent each year for programs to prevent child abuse
Child abuse and neglect affects over 1 million children every year. Child abuse and neglect costs our nation $220 million every day. Download Prevent Child Abuse America's Estimated Annual Cost of Child Abuse and Neglect, April 2012 (PDF) to learn more.
For information about the costs of child abuse and neglect in Wisconsin, read "What It Will Take: Investing in Wisconsin's Future by Keeping Kids Safe Today."