Kohl’s Cares Grow Safe & Healthy Program urges parents to practice safety when mowing and to teach children about lawn mower dangers to prevent serious injuries
July 07, 2015
When you mow
- Make sure children and pets are indoors or at a safe distance away from the area you plan to mow. Remain aware of where children are at all times.
- Protect yourself by wearing closed-toe shoes and long pants.
- Pick up stones, toys and debris from the lawn to prevent flying objects.
- Read and understand the owner’s manual, and pay particular attention to safety procedures. Make sure your mower is in good working order.
- Always look carefully and stop the mower blades when backing up.
- Never leave a running mower unattended.
Most injuries occur in children ages 6 and younger.
- Children should stay in the house and under the supervision of another adult while a lawn mower is in use. The best way to stay safe is to steer clear.
- Talk to children about the dangers of lawn mowers. Kids need to know they are “revolving knives” and never to approach one that’s running.
- Never let children ride on a lawn mower, even when it’s not moving. Many injuries occur when children slide off and fall under the mower blades.
Before learning how to mow the lawn, children should demonstrate the maturity, good judgment, strength and coordination the job requires. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the following age guidelines:
- Children should be at least 12 years of age to operate a push mower
- Children should be at least 16 years of age to operate a riding mower.
About Kohl’s Cares Grow Safe & Healthy
Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and Kohl’s Cares® share the mission of keeping kids in our community safe, healthy and injury free. That’s why, together, they developed Kohl’s Cares Grow Safe & Healthy, a community injury-prevention program that provides a trusted educational resource for safety in the home, outdoors and on the go. The program includes an informative website, a popular game app for kids called Keep Spriggy Safe — available on iTunes or Google Play – and a Mobile Tour Unit that facilitates injury-prevention outreach and education at community events. For more information, visit KohlsSafeandHealthy.com.
About Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin is the region’s only independent health care system dedicated solely to the health and well-being of children. The hospital, with locations in Milwaukee and Neenah, Wis., is recognized as one of the leading pediatric health care centers in the United States. It is ranked in 9 specialty areas in U.S. News & World Report’s 2015-16 Best Children’s Hospitals report. Children’s provides primary care, specialty care, urgent care, emergency care, community health services, foster and adoption services, child and family counseling, child advocacy services and family resource centers. In 2013, Children’s invested more than $105 million in the community to improve the health status of children through medical care, advocacy, education and pediatric medical research. Children’s achieves its mission in part through donations from individuals, corporations and foundations and is proud to be a member of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. For more information, visit the website at chw.org.