Surgical procedure volume
Why we measure it
- Research shows that surgeons and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have better outcomes for treatments and procedures.
What this means
- The Urology Program at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee grows each year as more patients and families are choosing our care.
About the data
- This graph shows all of the surgeries done by our pediatric urologists from 2009 to 2012 at Children's Hospital and at the Surgicenter of Greater Milwaukee.
Related dimensions of care:
- Surgeries are done either at Children's Hospital or the Surgicenter of Greater Milwaukee. The location depends on the patient's health status and the parents' preference. In either facility, patients are cared for by the same pediatric surgeon and board-certified pediatric anesthesiologist.
- All of our urologists and anesthesiologists are board eligible or qualified in pediatric urology and pediatric anesthesiology.
- Our large number of procedures provides experience in seeing children with a variety of conditions. Some conditions are very common. Others are quite rare and occur in less than one per 200 children making cases that are common for us, uncommon outside of the pediatric hospital setting.
- A pediatric urology nurse practitioner works with families to educate and prepare them to care for their child at home after surgery. They also help schedule appointments for follow-up care.