Laparoscopic procedure volume
Why we measure it
- It is important to our patients and families that we perform procedures in the safest and most effective way possible. Our urologic surgeons are able to offer a minimally invasive approach when performing many types of elective or unexpected procedures. The choice of approach is decided based on the individual needs of the child. Often, these surgeries are complex and may greater surgical expertise. Research shows that surgeons and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures.
What this means
- We can perform surgery in multiple ways to best suit the child's needs. This graph shows an increasing number of laparoscopic procedures performed at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee over the last four years.
About the data
- This graph reflects all of the laparoscopic procedures performed by our pediatric urologists during the calendar years 2009 to 2012.
Related dimensions of care:
- Our urologists and anesthesiologists are board eligible or qualified in pediatric urology and pediatric anesthesiology, respectively, demonstrating their knowledge and expertise in caring for newborns and children.
- We offer minimally invasive procedures for certain conditions, which heal faster and cause less pain and scarring for the patient.
- We use special pediatric laparoscopic instrumentation which provides the surgeon with the appropriate tools to operate safely on a wide age range of children.
- Our surgeon's expertise and advanced skill sets allow us to take on the most complex patient cases. Our comprehensive care attracts referring physicians and families from across the globe.
- We perform procedures at Children's Hospital or at our Surgicenter of Greater Milwaukee. The location depends on the patient's health status and the parents' preference. In either facility, patients are cared for by the same pediatric surgeon and board-certified pediatric anesthesiologist.
- We can now accommodate more patients at our Milwaukee hospital location and we offer more recovery, consultation and waiting rooms at our Surgicenter location.