Why we measure it
- Research shows that surgeons and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures.
What this means
- Our urologists at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee care for a high volume of patients from across Wisconsin. Our volumes continue to increase as more patients and families are coming to Children's Hospital for care.
About the data
- This graph shows the number of outpatient visits to our urology clinic from 2009 through 2012.
Related dimensions of care:
Our clinic volumes continue to grow as we meet the needs of an increasing demand for our services across the region.
- Our clinics are staffed by experienced and knowledgeable physicians and advanced practice nurses.
- We have full-time nurse practitioners who focus on the nonsurgical management of more common problems such as urinary tract infections and childhood incontinence, as well as assisting the physicians. These problems often take time to sort out and to provide the needed education to get the desired result for the patient. Our philosophy is to get the right patient with the right provider.
- Prenatal counseling for congenital anomalies of the urinary tract is offered in a multidisciplinary setting in a combined evaluation with perinatologists and neonatologists through the Fetal Concerns Center of Wisconsin.
- Patients with complex neurological conditions such as spina bifida, are seen in a multispecialty clinic along with a number of other specialties at a single setting and location.
- Specialty functions within the clinic setting include urodynamics (sophisticated measurements of the function of the bladder) and biofeedback.
We offer outreach clinics to reduce the number of trips many families need to make to our Milwaukee hospital location. Our doctors travel to the following locations to provide care closer to home.
Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and coordinate appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations like Ronald McDonald House to offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel chains on our referral list also offer discounts for patient families.