Why we measure it - Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes, even for complex cases.
What this means - We care for patients in different environments based on their needs, but safety is our primary concern. Same-day surgery patients who are otherwise healthy usually receive care at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Surgicenter with a greater focus on comfort and convenience. More complex patients receive care at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Milwaukee campus where there is a higher level of resources and where more complex care can be safely provided.
About the data - These data reflect the total number of anesthesia cases performed at both Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Milwaukee campus and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Surgicenter.
Related dimensions of care:
- We have 35 board-certified anesthesiologists with subspecialty training in pediatric anesthesiology.
- We have the expertise in sedating children safely and effectively. Sedatives are powerful medicines and having experts trained in pediatric anesthesiology makes surgical procedures much safer for your child.
- Our teams are on call 24 hours a day to provide services for general anesthesia, cardiac anesthesia, critical care, pain management and trauma/code response team. We typically have four or five anesthesiologists on call each night to care for urgent and emergency cases.
- Our doctors spend quality time with all of our patients. They may care for one patient through a complex operation lasting many hours or they may care for 20 patients undergoing short procedures that require less time. Our priority is to perform all of our sedations safely and keep each child as comfortable as possible.
- Our specialists sedate 200 to 1,400 children a year. Sedation levels are based on the child's medical need. To maintain our performance at the highest level, we follow state-of-the-art care standards to accommodate the diverse needs of our patients.
We operate a Level I Trauma Center designated by the American College of Surgeons. Undergoing this rigorous verification process requires improved quality and safety standards. The trauma program is supported directly by anesthesia residents, fellows and faculty.
Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and schedule appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations like Ronald McDonald House to offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel chains on our referral list also offer discounts for families.