Surgical charges by diagnosis
Why we measure it - At Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, our board-certified orthopedic surgeons understand kids' sports injuries. Our experienced team treats minor to severe musculoskeletal injuries in children of all ages. Our surgeons are sensitive to the costs involved with surgical procedures and consider alternative ways to reduce some of these costs, while continuing to provide outstanding patient care.
What this means - Our charges for hip, OCD and ACL surgeries are lower than competing pediatric centers around the country.
The graph shows that Children's Hospital of Wisconsin's charges are 49 percent lower for anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) procedures, 45 percent lower for osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) procedures and 5 percent lower for hip surgeries compared with Pediatric Hospital Information System (PHIS) peers. PHIS hospitals represent other leading free-standing pediatric hospitals.
About the data - These data show the average charge per visit for hip surgeries, OCD and ACL diagnoses at Children's Hospital compared to PHIS peers.
Related dimensions of care:
- Our pediatric orthopedic surgeons are nationally recognized for their innovative techniques and compassionate care and are consistently rated among the Best Doctors in America®.
- Our surgeons are experts in treating growth plate injuries and use the latest treatments such as growth modulation surgery to reduce the risk of injury to a child's growing bones.
- Children's Hospital offers top-notch care all under one roof. Our surgeons are part of a multidisciplinary team that includes sports medicine physicians, physician assistants, athletic trainers, physical and occupational therapists, and other pediatric specialists needed to provide the best care for each child.
- Our physician assistants work with patients and families to help them prepare for a surgical procedure and see patients for follow-up visits after surgery. They also assist during surgery, which saves time in the operating room.
- Our surgeries are done at Children's Hospital or Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Surgicenter. Patients are cared for by the same pediatric orthopedic surgeons and pediatric anesthesiologists in each location. Surgicenter is located about 10 minutes from Children's Hospital.
- We use advanced imaging technology to diagnose problems. This includes MRI and computed tomography scans. Pediatric musculoskeletal radiologists, doctors trained to read X-rays, work closely with our orthopedic surgeons and read all of the images taken.
- Children's Hospital physician Roger Lyon, MD is one of 16 orthopedic surgeons nationwide who serves as a member of the Research of the OsteoChondritis of the Knee (ROCK) organization which supports ongoing research to improve the treatment of this condition.
- Children's Hospital is one of only a few pediatric centers in the country with surgeons who perform several highly specialized procedures. These include the pericatabular ostotomy for adolescent and young adult hip dysplasia, hip arthroscopy for labral tears, advanced techniques for articular cartilage repair, and the highly complex allograft technique.
- Children's Hospital is a leading referral center for pediatric orthopedic surgery. Our surgeons take into account each child's age and developmental stage in order to choose the right technique to obtain the best outcome.