Pulmonary and sleep medicine overall sleep test volume
Why we measure it - Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures.
What this means - More families are choosing our pediatric Sleep Center for their child's care. Families recognize that complex testing is best performed in a pediatric hospital.
About the data - These data reflect the number of sleep studies captured in our Sleep Lab database from 2010 through 2013. Diagnostic tests evaluate for the presence or seriousness of a sleep problem. Therapeutic tests involve treatment of the sleep problem, usually with CPAP or BiPAP for treatment of sleep apnea.
Related dimensions of care:
- Our sleep specialists see children at two locations: Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin New Berlin Clinics. This allows families to have a greater selection in clinic times and locations.
- All of our physicians are board certified or board eligible in pediatric pulmonary and/or sleep medicine, and some of our physicians are recognized by Best Doctors in America.
- The Sleep Center at Children's Hospital is the only sleep center in Wisconsin dedicated solely to the care of children and is one of only 25 centers accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine that is dedicated solely to children.
- We provide a state-of-the-art sleep laboratory for children scheduled for an overnight sleep study. Children are monitored for several different functions such as oxygen levels, breathing through the nose and mouth, heart function, brain activity, body movements and snoring. Sleep studies help determine the seriousness of the sleep problem and its effect on the child's health.
- Our sleep technologists are all Wisconsin state-licensed respiratory care practitioners and/or registered polysomnography technicians, so they are able to care for medically complex children. Physicians interpreting the sleep studies are all board-certified in sleep medicine.