Cystic fibrosis clinic volume
Why we measure it - The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry Report shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for cystic fibrosis.
What this means - The Cystic Fibrosis program provides care for children and young adults with cystic fibrosis. In 2009, there were 14 new diagnoses made - the largest increase in the state, according to the Wisconsin State Laboratory. Most new diagnoses are newborns identified through the state of Wisconsin's newborn screening program.
About the data - These data reflect the number of patient visits in our billing system under each clinic category from 2009-2012.
Related dimensions of care:
- The Cystic Fibrosis Clinic at Children's Hospital is accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. This accreditation indicates that our center has met the rigorous evaluation of nationally respected clinical experts who evaluate CF programs every five years.
- The Cystic Fibrosis Center at the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin was one of the 2010 recipients of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Quality Care Award: Recognizing Outstanding QI Processes and Accomplishments.
- Based on the most recent data from the CF Foundation Patient Registry, school-age children managed at our center have lung function and nutritional outcomes above the national average. More specifically, these outcomes place our center among the top 10 centers in pulmonary clinical outcomes for school age children and nutritional outcomes.
- The Cystic Fibrosis Center at Children's Hospital offers a multidisciplinary team of CF specialists including pulmonologists, dietitians, respiratory therapists, genetic counselor, social worker, nurses and nurse practitioner who consult with the patient and family at each clinic visit.
- Newborns diagnosed with cystic fibrosis are seen by the cystic fibrosis team within one business day of diagnosis.
- Because CF affects multiple organ systems, we coordinate care with other campus specialists who have the skill and expertise in this disease.
- We work with Froedtert Hospital to transition our adult patients to their Cystic Fibrosis Clinic.
- The sweat test is the "gold standard" for accurately diagnosing cystic fibrosis. The laboratory at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is one of five locations in the state that is accredited as a testing site by the CF Foundation.