Why we measure it - Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures.
What this means - Many patients and families from outside Wisconsin are choosing our care. As the reputation of Children's Hospital of Wisconsin has grown nationally, families from outside our region are seeking our expertise for their child's care.
About the data - The shaded states on the map show where our patients came from in 2012.
Related dimensions of care:
- We offer one of the few electromagnetic pediatric gait labs in the region. Gait lab tests are compared before and after surgery to measure and check function following surgical correction of the back or legs.
- We are one of the few pediatric centers in the country that uses a 3-D measurement of the spine, a system that does not use radiation (X-rays).
- Our goal is to manage scoliosis without surgery, however, when surgery is needed, orthopedic surgeons at Children's Hospital perform the most advanced techniques of scoliosis surgery, including a fairly new procedure that dramatically reduces recovery time from months to days.
- We have a pediatric orthopedic nurse clinician who coordinates inpatient stays, discharge planning and follow-up clinic visits.
- Our orthopedic specialists are heavily involved in clinical research that focuses on:
- Improving ways of mapping the spine to monitor scoliosis without using X-rays, which avoids radiation exposure.
- Growth modulation devices to correct scoliosis without fusion.
We provide a nurse call line where patients and families can leave their questions or concerns. While messages can be left anytime, an orthopedic nurse will respond within 60 minutes to messages left during the following hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. To reach our Nurse Line, call (414) 266-2411.
Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and schedule appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations like Ronald McDonald House
to offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel chains
on our referral list also offer discounts for families.