Milwaukee breastfeeding support
Lactation management service
Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee has certified lactation consultants who offer support to breastfeeding mothers and their babies and help provide a positive and successful breastfeeding experience. Our staff also helps mothers who express their milk (remove milk from their breasts).
Conditions we address
This program provides support to:
- Mothers and hospitalized infants who experience lactation or breastfeeding difficulties, such as:
- Medication use and safety
- Sore nipples
- Low milk supply
- Families and health care team members when infants have feeding challenges, including:
- Heart defects
- Respiratory problems
- Down syndrome
- Cleft lip and palate
- Neurological problems
- Multiple births (twins, triplets)
- Birth defects
- Mothers and babies who are separated due to medical, work or educational needs.
- Mothers who need help with breast milk pumping, pump usage, management of breast milk collection and storage, and obtaining breast pumps for home use.
This program provides the following services:
The Lactation Management Service provides individual consultations Monday through Friday, and rotating Saturdays and Sundays.
Children’s Hospital lactation consultants talk with mothers by phone, schedule a visit at the bedside and meet with families during a prenatal appointment if families are being seen through the Fetal Concerns Center of Wisconsin. A physician or nurse can order a prenatal, inpatient and outpatient consultation, or families can call (414) 266-1757 to leave a message for a lactation consultant. A consultant will automatically be paged when a message is left.
The Lactation Management Service has double electric breast pumps available throughout the hospital for mothers to use. Pump rooms are available in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and most inpatient units. The Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Clinics Building has a breastfeeding room, which is located behind the information desk, that is available to families and staff.
About the staff
Our team includes many lactation consultants, including four with IBCLC (international board certified lactation consultant) certification, who are also registered nurses. They have extensive training, education and experience in lactation. They offer a wealth of experience and knowledge working with premature infants through toddlers.
In addition to the lactation team, certified lactation educators (CLEs) are available to help and support families.
- Lisa Brock, RN, IBCLC
- Barbara Hayes-Dineen, RN, IBCLC
- Linda McNamara, RN, IBCLC
- Kristine Walleser, RN, IBCLC
- Lori Collins, CLC
- Maria Collins, CLC
- Reggie Drewek, CLC
- Michelle Eversdyk,CLC
- Maria Haldeman, CLC
- Paulette Krolikowski, CLC
- Sara Peluso, CLC
- Lindsey Schneider, CLC
- Heather Tanner, CLC
Professional organizations and lactation information