Herma Heart Center
Our Herma Heart Center is an international leader for medical and surgical treatment of heart disease and congenital heart defects in children and adults. We consistently have high survival rates for all children undergoing heart surgery and among the best survival rates worldwide for treating hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Our patient-centered care focuses on our patients' overall experience before, during and after surgery. Strict protocols and quality improvement efforts are put into place to ensure we provide the best care throughout each patient's entire stay with us.
- 28 board-certified pediatric cardiologists
- 3 board-certified pediatric cardiac surgeons
- 6 board-certified pediatric cardiac critical care specialists
- 11 board-certified pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists
- 6 pediatric cardiology fellows
- 24-bed Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
- Named in the 2013 Parents magazine for Best Heart Care
- Specialists consistently ranked among the Best Doctors in America®
- Recognized worldwide for pioneering the first home monitoring program of its kind to care for infants with hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Performed the first heart-liver transplant in Wisconsin, the 10th performed on a child in the United States
- Heart Transplant Program is ranked #2 in volume in the United States with 23 heart transplants in 2012
- Five types of artificial hearts used to care for the needs of transplant patients; one of 15 sites in the United States that participated in the United States Food and Drug Administration-approved trial of the Berlin Heart Ventricular Assist Device and one of a few hospitals in the country to use a Berlin Pediatric Heart; successfully bridged 11 patients to transplant with 100 percent three-year survival rate
- Pioneered the use of virtual cross-match strategy for heart transplant patients – this can lead to better outcomes, shorter waitlist times and allows transplant physicians to risk-stratify patients eligible for heart transplant
- ABO-incompatible heart transplants offered, decreasing patients' time on the waitlist and waitlist deaths
- One of the largest adult congenital heart disease programs in the United States with physicians specially trained to treat this population
- Provide specialized comprehensive diagnostic and interventional cardiac care before birth, leading to better outcomes for babies
- Provide coordinated care for mothers and babies when congenial heart disease is recognized in the unborn baby, including assessment, delivery and surgical management under one roof
- Is an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education approved congenital heart surgery fellowship
|James S. Tweddell, MD, is the medical director of Pediatric cardiothoracic Surgery at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and professor and chief of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Dr. Tweddell is an international leader in pediatric cardiac surgery including neonatal and infant cardiac surgery and adult and pediatric heart and lung transplantation.
Children's Hospital's commitment to quality, advancements in surgical techniques and improvements in follow-up care allows us to achieve some of the best surgical outcomes in the nation.