Teen imaging volume
Why we measure it - A teenager's body is not the same as an adult. Teens are still growing and need specialized care that only a pediatric facility can provide. Our pediatric radiologists and technologists have developed safe guidelines for imaging teens. They also have the specialized training needed to read their images.
What this means - Our experienced radiologists and technologists performed over 35,000 imaging procedures on teenaged patients in 2012.
About the data - The graph shows the number of imaging procedures performed on teenaged patients in 2012.
Related dimensions of care:
- Tests for teenagers are done in our patient-friendly exam rooms. We encourage teens to bring in their own favorite movies, music, iPod or an iPad to help them relax during a scan.
- Your teen's safety is our number one concern. If an X-ray or CT scan is needed, we use the lowest amount of radiation possible.
- We are part of the Image Gently campaign, an initiative of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging. The campaign goal is to increase awareness of the opportunities to lower radiation dose when imaging children.
- Our experienced technologists are comfortable working with teenagers. They will educate you and your teen about what to expect during an imaging scan. They use special techniques to help position your teen to get the best image. Lead shielding is used, when needed, to protect your teen's body as much as possible from radiation.
- Our Child Life specialists help calm and relax your teen before, during and after a scan. They provide many distraction and relaxation techniques, such as breathing exercises, music, movies, and video games, to help your child cope during a test.
- Team members will try to do a scan without sedation. If sedation is needed, they will work with our doctors to come up with an appropriate solution that meets the teen's needs.
- If your teen needs sedation, one of our 35 board-certified pediatric anesthesiologists will do the sedations at our Milwaukee hospital. Sedations at our New Berlin clinic are performed and monitored by our pediatric radiologists and highly skilled nursing team. Team members have advanced training in safe sedation practices.
- Our specialists base sedation levels on your teen's actual size and weight. This is the safest way to sedate teens. We do not give standard dosing like many adult facilities do.