Why we measure it - More physicians from across the United States are referring their patients with heart problems to Herma Heart Center at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. Our dedicated team of heart specialists are recognized leaders in treating children with complex congenital heart problems.
What this means - Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures. This map shows the states and other countries families travel from to be seen by the Herma Heart Center team.
About the data - The map shows the states our Herma Heart Center patients came from in 2013.
Related dimensions of care:
- Herma Heart Center is the largest pediatric cardiac center in the state. Our translational research and comprehensive clinical care makes us a center of excellence to care for children with heart problems. These services combined with our ongoing commitment to quality and compassionate patient care lead to some of the best surgical outcomes in the nation.
- Our heart center was named as one of the top pediatric heart programs in the country and was ranked No. 7 in the nation by Parents magazine in 2013.
- Our pediatric cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons are consistently ranked among the Best Doctors in America. Our cardiothoracic surgeons have American Board of Thoracic Surgery Certificates in Congenital Heart Surgery.
- We are recognized globally for developing the first home monitoring program of its kind, which is used primarily for HLHS patients. This program tracks an infant's developmental progress and recovery rate after their first of three heart surgeries needed to treat this condition. Implementation of the home monitoring program has led to better survival outcomes and lower hospital readmission rates.
- Herma Heart Center was one of 15 sites in the nation chosen by the FDA to participate in a clinical trial to study the Berlin Heart Ventricular Assist Device.
- We pioneered the systematic use of the virtual crossmatch for sensitized pediatric heart transplant patients.
- We created an access and feedback team to make sure that our patients and their referring physicians have easy access to our facilities and specialists.
- We have a highly specialized Children's Transport Team available 24 hours a day to stabilize and transport critically sick and injured infants and children to our center. More than 1,500 transports are provided each year.