Constipation and Reflux Evaluation Program
The Constipation and Reflux Evaluation Program at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin specializes in treating reflux and constipation in children.
Issues we address
Program specialists care for children with the following problems:
- Abdominal pain with constipation
- Potty-training difficulties
- Encopresis (a condition that causes soiling in pants)
- Reflux — infants younger than 18 months old who do not have feeding issues
- Difficult, painful or infrequent stooling
Our approach consists of a combination of education, behavior management and medication interventions that are tailored to meet the unique needs of each child and his or her family.
During the first clinic visit, a pediatric nurse practitioner will obtain a health history, perform a physical exam and develop a customized treatment plan with the family. Some tests and lab work may be completed during the first visit. Others may need to be scheduled for a different day.
Dietitians and psychologists also provide additional support when there are dietary and behavioral issues that need to be addressed.