Arrange a Transport
Children's Transport serves Wisconsin, northern Illinois and the upper peninsula of Michigan. The team also travels across the U.S. bringing patients to Children's.
The Children's Transport and Physician Referral Center is the team's communication center. Referring physicians can call (800) 266-0366 to speak to any specialty care doctor upon request. Pediatric specialists are available for online consultation or assistance in the transfer process.
If a referring doctor only needs to talk to a pediatric specialist, that can be done while the doctor waits on the line. If a decision is made to transport a child, call center staff can mobilize the Transport Team.
Request a transport
To request a transport, referring physicians should:
- Call (800) 266-0366 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- On a recorded line, the call center staff will obtain pertinent clinical information including the patient's history, labs and radiological findings
- The call center staff will discuss the case with the medical control physician who is a pediatric intensivist or neonatologist and discuss medical management to choose the mode of transport
- The patient will be transported by ambulance, helicopter or fixed-wing airplane. The mode of transportation is determined by the patients' acuity, distance from the hospital and weather. Safety always is our first priority
- On request, the medical control doctor will help the referring physician manage the patient's care from the time of referral until the transport team arrives
- Questions regarding the transport team should be directed to the medical director or nurse manager