Patient and family experience
Quality and Outcomes Reports - Critical Care
Why we measure it - It's important that we understand how we are doing, so we ask our patients and families to tell us about their care experiences. Our goal is for everyone to have the best experience possible. We ask patients and families to rate our ICU on a scale from 0 to 10 where 0 is the worst ICU and 10 is the best ICU. We only use the responses 9 and 10 to track our progress. We know that patients and families who rate our ICU at a 9 or 10 will most likely refer others to us.
What this means - This graph shows the percent of patients and families who had a visit to our PICU and gave a 9 or 10 rating in response to the survey question, "Using a number from 0 to 10, where 0 is the worst ICU possible and 10 is the best ICU possible, what number would you use to rate this ICU during your child's stay?"
About the data - Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee uses a third-party vendor to survey patients and families and obtain feedback about their overall experience. Children's Hospital uses the feedback from this survey to direct changes that will improve the patient and family experience.
Related dimensions of care:
- There are a number of efforts intended to ensure a positive patient and family experience. These range from the room environment to daily involvement of families during patient care rounds and periodic focus groups to understand their needs.
- Parents, grandparents and legal guardians may visit 24 hours a day.
- We encourage partnerships with open, ongoing communication between family members and health care providers. Our Family Advisory Committee is made up of parents and hospital staff to improve communication, quality of care and hospital amenities.
- We regularly survey our patients and encourage them to share their opinions and suggestions.
- We review and implement changes based on patient experience feedback.
Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and coordinate appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations like Ronald McDonald House
offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel
chains on our referral list also offer discounts for patient families.