Milwaukee Child Protection Center
Abuse can be scary for kids, parents and other family members. Children who may have been harmed come to the Child Protection Center to talk about the abuse and get medical care. It is a safe place for children to receive help.
Child Protection Center staff do case reviews, and provide expert court testimony and professional consultations. In addition, staff also provide the following services:
- Child abuse assessments: The assessment process includes a complete medical examination and an interview with a social worker specially trained to work with traumatized kids. All work is carefully documented on videotape or DVD to meet judicial standards.
- Referrals: Following an assessment, suspected victims of abuse will be referred to psychological counselors, family counselors, medical care and psychiatric and developmental rehabilitation specialists in their home communities who can aid in the recovery process.
- Professional and community education: Center staff provides ongoing training to law enforcement officers, social workers, physicians, nurses and other professionals in the Milwaukee area. They also share research about investigative techniques.
- Foster care health checks: Every child who enters a Milwaukee County foster home receives a medical screening at the Child Protection Center. The medical screening includes a physical exam and a medical history and background check.
The goal of a foster care health screening is to:
- Document recent signs of abuse or neglect
- Ensure children receive quality, consistent and timely health evaluations
- Improve the health of children in foster care
Child Protection Center staff discusses the results with the child's foster parents, if available. A complete report also is mailed to the child's caseworker. Staff also will assist in making any necessary primary care, mental health or other medical follow-up appointments.
Children's Hospital collaborates with the following community partners:
- Aurora Sinai Sexual Assault Treatment Center
- Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare
- City of Milwaukee Health Department
- Milwaukee Police Department
- Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department
- Milwaukee Public Schools
- Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office
- Sojourner Family Peace Center
- West Allis Police Department
- West Allis Public Schools
Pediatrics, Child Advocacy-Protection