Volunteer requirements, process and application
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
Thank you for supporting our volunteer program at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin. Due to the wealth of interest, our volunteer program is currently not accepting applications. Please check back soon for our year round volunteer application.
At Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, part of our mission is to provide the best and safest care of our patients and families. As part of the team, our volunteers are expected to commit to the requirements below:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Volunteer for a minimum of 6 months for one, two-hour shift weekly
- Commit to the same day, time and unit area for your volunteer experience
- Complete an online volunteer application
Please note: Volunteer Services will only consider complete applications
- Fulfill all expectations. Approved volunteer s that match our current needs will be invited to a volunteer orientation, interview and unit orientation prior to placement
- Agree to and complete the Background Clearance process
- Provide proof of immunity for MMR, ( measles mumps and rubella) and varicella/Chickenpox
- Receive a two-step TB test
- Receive an annual flu vaccination
- Complete annual safety and HIPAA training
- Adhere to the code of conduct, policies, procedures and mission of Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Before applying to volunteer
The ideal volunteer placement requires some exploration on your part to make the best investment of your time. The hospital setting can be a challenging environment, as a volunteer you must be willing to serve patients and families with integrity, accountability and ethical behavior. We ask that you take the time to ask yourself the following questions to determine the best fit for your service:
- I have reviewed my schedule and confirm that I can firmly commit to volunteer for two hours a week for a minimum of six months
- I have some spare time in my life and I want to give back to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
- I am interested in a career in the medical field and would love some volunteer experience
- I am comfortable working with children that are suffering from physical or emotional discomfort
- I will treat my volunteer commitment with the same respect that I would my college or work environment
- I am willing to maintain professional boundaries with patients and families
- I am comfortable making repeated trips to Children's Hospital during the orientation process to complete mandatory training, interview and necessary medical requirements
- I am comfortable submitting my information to complete a background clearance process.
If the majority of the above statements are true, please continue.
If the majority of the above statements are not true, our hospital setting may not be a good fit for you.
Please also ask yourself the following:
- I hope that my volunteer placement will lead to employment at Children's Hospital
- I only want to hold/rock/cuddle babies
- I only want to be in the NICU
- I have recently experienced the death of a loved one
- I hope to shadow a doctor or get hands-on training by medical staff
If the above statements are true, our hospital setting may not be a good fit for you.