Quality and Outcomes Reports - Herma Heart Center
Surgical Volume by Age at Time of Operation
Why we measure it- Herma Heart Center at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee is one of the largest heart programs in the country. Our pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons perform more than 700 heart operations every year on children ranging in age from birth to adult.
What this means -Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures. Our surgeons have performed more than 700 congenital heart operations a year from 2009 through 2012.
About the data - These data show the number of patients broken out by age who had heart surgery in 2009 through 2012.
Related dimensions of care:
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- Many of the surgeries we perform are on newborns and infants with congenital heart disease less than one year old. The sooner a heart defect is repaired the better the long-term outcome for the child. Our surgical outcomes for this age group are some of the best in the nation.
- Our cardiothoracic surgeons are consistently ranked among the Best Doctors in America. All have American Board of Thoracic Surgery Certificates in Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Our surgeons and cardiologists work together with specialists in our Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ACHD) program. This program streamlines patient care for young adults age 19 and older. The ACHD program at Children's Hospital is the only one of its kind in the state.
- Children's Hospital is one of a few hospitals in the country to use a Berlin Pediatric Heart. This new artificial heart is used to bridge children who need a heart transplant.
- Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and schedule and coordinate appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations Ronald McDonald House and Kathy's House to offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel chains on our referral list also offer discounts for families.
- We offer many outreach facilities and surgical sites to reduce the number of trips families need to make to our Milwaukee hospital location. Our specialists travel to or are located in several cities throughout Wisconsin and in Crystal Lake, Illinois to provide care close to home. In addition to the main location in Milwaukee, we offer other clinics in Fond du Lac, Kenosha, New Berlin, Neenah and Waukesha. We also perform some surgeries if needed at Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee as well.
Patients and families:
- If you need to schedule or reschedule an appointment, please call Central Scheduling at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280 as soon as possible.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment so we can gather needed information from you before you see the doctor.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based
e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses. e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this Web page, email us or call (414) 266-6556.