Quality and Outcomes Reports - Herma Heart Center
Why we measure it- More physicians from across the United States and Canada are referring their patients with heart problems to Herma Heart Center at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. Our dedicated team of heart specialists are recognized leaders in treating children with complex congenital heart problems. Herma Heart Center is one of the top pediatric programs in the country and was ranked No. 7 in the nation by Parents magazine in 2013.
What this means- Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures. This map shows the states and other countries families travel from to be seen by the Herma Heart Center team.
About the data - The map shows the states and other countries that Herma Heart Center patients came from in 2012.
Related dimensions of care:
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- Herma Heart Center is the largest pediatric cardiac center in the state. Our translational research and comprehensive clinical care make Herma Heart Center a center of excellence when caring for children with heart problems. These services combined with our ongoing commitment to quality and compassionate patient care lead to some of the best surgical outcomes in the nation.
- Our pediatric cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons are consistently ranked among the Best Doctors in America. Our cardiothoracic surgeons have American Board of Thoracic Surgery Certificates in Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Herma Heart Center was one of 15 sites in the nation chosen by the FDA to participate in a clinical trial to study the Berlin Heart Ventricular Assist Device.
- We pioneered the systematic use of the virtual crossmatch for sensitized pediatric heart transplant patients.
- We have a highly specialized Children's Transport Team available 24 hours a day to stabilize and transport critically sick and injured infants and children to our center. More than 1,500 transports are provided each year.
- Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and schedule appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations like Ronald McDonald House and Kathy's House to offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel chains on our referral list also offer discounts for families.
- We created an access and feedback work team to make sure our patients and their referring physicians have easy access to our facilities and specialists.
- We offer many outreach facilities and surgical sites to reduce the number of trips families need to make to our Milwaukee hospital location. Our specialists travel to or are located in several cities throughout Wisconsin and in Crystal Lake, Illinois to provide care close to home. In addition to the main location in Milwaukee, we offer other clinics in Fond du Lac, Kenosha, New Berlin, Neenah and Waukesha. We also perform some surgeries if needed at Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee as well.
Patients and families:
- If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, please call Central Scheduling at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280 as soon as possible to reschedule so another child can be seen.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment so we can gather needed information from you before you see the doctor.
- Check with your insurance provider before your visit to see if a referral is needed to see a specialist at Children's Hospital.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses. e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this Web page, email us or call (414) 266-6556.