Quality and Outcomes Reports - Herma Heart Center
What this means - Many patients and families from outside Wisconsin are choosing our care. This reflects families from outside our region are seeking our expertise, as the reputation of the Herma Heart Center as a center of excellence has grown nationally.
About the data - The map shows the states that Herma Heart Center patients came from in 2012.
Related dimensions of care:
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- We have the only cardiothoracic surgeons in the state of Wisconsin with American Board of Thoracic Surgery Certificates in Congenital Heart Surgery.
- We expanded our clinic space and added cardiac critical care beds with the hospital tower construction.
- We have a highly specialized Children's Transport Team available 24 hours a day to stabilize and transport seriously sick and injured infants and children to our center. More than 1,500 transports are provided each year. In collaboration with Herma Heart Center, a mobile ECMO program was developed, making Children's Transport one of only four transport programs in the country to transport children on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, a type of heart/lung bypass.
- We offer the Family Accommodations Program to help make travel arrangements and coordinate appointments for families traveling to our center from a long distance.
- We established an access and feedback work team to make sure patients and referring physicians always have easy access to our facilities and specialists. Our goal is to communicate with and transfer care back to the patient's community physician for seamless follow-up and long-term care.
Patients and families:
- If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, please call Central Scheduling at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280 as soon as possible to reschedule so another child can be seen.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment so we can gather needed information from you before you see the doctor.
- Check with your insurance provider before your visit to see if a referral is needed to see a specialist at Children's Hospital.
- Fill out and fax a referral form prior to sending the patient to Children's Hospital for outpatient ancillary services or a specialty clinic visit.
- Forward any pertinent patient documentation, including test results, to the specialty physician's office prior to the patient's visit.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based
e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses.
e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this information, email us or call (414) 266-6556.