Our health care professionals treat urologic diseases and defects in children of all ages medically and surgically at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Pediatric urologists, nurse practitioners and nurses have the training to care for children's unique physiology and age-related problems.
Newborns and infants, particularly, can pose a variety of challenges requiring the expertise of pediatric urology specialists. These children also may need immediate access to the full spectrum of other specialties provided only at a state-of-the-art pediatric medical center.
Advanced specialty services available to urology patients at Children's Hospital include radiology, anesthesiology, surgery, nephrology, oncology, neonatal intensive care and pediatric intensive care.
Because children often undergo months or years of follow-up care, doctors at the hospital work closely with referring physicians.
Our team of specialist are internationally known. Our Urology Program is led by John Kryger, MD, former director of Pediatric Urology at American Family Children's Hospital in Madison, Wis. Dr. Kryger has held leadership roles in health care and a variety of professional organizations, including the Society for Fetal Urology.
Video: Meet Dr. Kryger and learn about our Urology Program
Children's Urology Program is capable of caring for the sickest children, including newborn babies who require surgery right after birth. We also are the only pediatric hospital in Wisconsin using robot-assisted laparoscopic surgery, a type of minimally invasive surgery.
We are committed to measuring the safety and quality of our urology care so we can make it even better. We share this quality information about our urology program, as well as many other programs.
- Prenatal counseling for hydronephrosis, multicystic dysplastic kidney and congenital abnormalities.
- Emergency care of acute conditions, such as testicular torsion, genitourinary tract trauma and neonatal problems.
- Treatment for congenital urinary tract abnormalities, including ureteropelvic junction obstruction, duplex systems/ureterocele, vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) and posterior urethral valves.
- Surgical reconstruction of genital conditions, including intersex issues, bladder exstrophy and epispadias, hypospadias, undescended testis and hydrocele.
- Treatment for common urinary tract problems, including incontinence, infection, enuresis, kidney stones and tumors.
- Treatment for bedwetting and urinary incontinence, through our Voiding Improvement Program.
In conjunction with The Medical College of Wisconsin and the Blood Center of Wisconsin, the pediatric urologists at Children's Hospital constantly are researching better treatments, enabling them to stay on the cutting edge of the latest therapies. Inquiries from patients, families and health care professionals are welcome.
Urology services are available at:
Surgicenter of Greater Milwaukee (surgery location only)
Why choose us?
We believe patient families have a right to know what level of care we provide. Review our quality and outcomes reports.