Lead PoisoningFacts about lead exposure:
Lead is more dangerous to children than adults because:
- They often put their hands and other objects in their mouths that can have lead dust on them.
- Their growing bodies absorb more lead.
- Their brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the damaging effects of lead.
Children between the ages of 1 and 3 who live in low-income housing built before 1978 are especially at risk.
Effects of lead in the body:
Lead poisoning can affect just about every system in the body yet often produces no definitive symptoms. The following are some of the most common symptoms of lead poisoning. However, each child may experience symptoms differently. Lead poisoning may cause:
- Damage to the brain and nervous system.
- Behavior and learning problems.
- Slowed growth.
- Hearing problems.
Lead is also harmful to adults, who may suffer from:
- Difficulties during pregnancy.
- Reproductive problems in both men and women.
- High blood pressure.
- Digestive problems.
- Nerve disorders.
- Memory and concentration problems.
- Muscle and joint pain.
High levels of lead may also cause seizures, coma, and death. The symptoms of lead poisoning may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Always consult your child's physician for a diagnosis.
Testing children for lead exposure:
If you think your home has high levels of lead, get your children tested. A simple blood test can detect high levels of lead and is important for:
- Children who are 6 months to 1 year old (6 months if you live in an older home that might have lead in the paint). If your child is older than 1 year, talk to your child's physician about whether your child needs testing.
- Family members whom you think might have high levels of lead.
Your child's physician can test your child's blood levels. The tests are inexpensive or, in some cases, free. Your child's physician will explain the test results. Treatment can range from changes in your diet to medications or a hospital stay.
Another source of lead may be antique furniture
Old furniture, which was previously painted, may contain lead, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The caustic paint stripper used to remove lead-based paint can cause the lead to actually leach into the wood. Any subsequent sanding of the furniture can release lead particles into the air. The CDC advises people to avoid sanding old furniture around children and to clean up the dust thoroughly afterward. Also, change clothes and shoes, and shower as soon as possible after sanding.
If you think your home has high levels of lead:
Have young children tested for lead, even if they seem healthy.
Make sure your entire family washes their hands before eating and going to bed.
Wash children's bottles, pacifiers and toys often.
Make sure children eat healthy foods with adequate iron and calcium. These minerals help decrease the absorption of lead.
Have your home checked for lead hazards, including water faucets. Older homes (pre-1970s) may have lead pipes or lead-based pipe joints. Lead easily leaches into water and can become an ingested toxin. Taps should be run for 2 minutes each morning before consuming water in these homes.
Clean floors, windowsills and other surfaces with soapy water often.
Wipe soil off shoes before entering house.
Talk with your landlord about fixing surfaces with peeling or chipping paint.
Take precautions to avoid exposure to lead dust when remodeling or renovating (call 1-800-424-LEAD for guidelines).
Do not use a belt-sander, propane torch, dry scraper or dry sandpaper on painted surfaces that may contain lead.
Do not try to remove lead-based paint yourself. Have it professionally removed.Click here to view related Web sites
Return to the Injuries and Poisonings Home Page
Return to the Disorders, Diseases and Organ Topics Home Page