NICU Family Host Program at Children's Hospital in Neenah
Family Host Program volunteers:
- Have personal experiences with a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, or NICU.
- Are specially selected, screened, and trained volunteers who are committed to help you and your family. They provide all consultation with confidentiality.
- Visit families in the NICU to help provide peer support, comfort, and information that promotes family-centered care, involving you in decisions and the care of your child.
- Want to make your time in the NICU as smooth as possible.
The volunteer schedule is posted by the hand washing station. Be sure to connect with a volunteer. They look forward to meeting you and hearing your story.
If you have a baby in the NICU:
- Take care of yourself. Eat regularly and drink lots of water. Snacks and juice are available in family lobby. Rest is very important. Moms need to heal and recover from giving birth.
- You will have a lot of emotions. You will feel joy about being a parent as well as fear and concern. Your time in the NICU can be like a roller coaster.
- Ask questions. This is YOUR baby. You should know what's happening. Don't worry if you ask the same question more than once.
- Talk with staff about how you can care for your baby. Let them know what you'd like to do and what you'd like to learn to do.