Quality and Outcomes Reports - Imaging (Radiology)
Time to next appointment without sedation
Why we measure it - The time to next appointment actually is the time to the third next available appointment for new patients, which is a more accurate measure of how long a patient may have to wait before receiving an exam. One of our service standards is the ability to make appointments within a reasonable length of time. Urgent and emergency patients are always seen immediately.
What this means - The time to next appointment to schedule an MRI without sedation at our Milwaukee clinic takes about five days. We reduced our wait time from 7 days to 4 days to schedule an MRI without sedation at our New Berlin clinic in the second quarter of 2013. Scheduling appointments for CT and ultrasound without sedation averaged three days for both clinics.
About the data - These data show the number of days to schedule a new, nonurgent appointment without sedation.
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- Our time to next appointment for MRI exams without sedation can take up to three to five days. Insurance approval is required for all MRIs. This can impact the timeframe a new patient needs to schedule an MRI with us. Staff members can help families with the insurance approval process.
- X-rays are performed daily on a walk-in basis and there is usually not a wait.
- We are a part of the Image Gently campaign, an initiative of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging. The campaign goal is to increase awareness of the opportunities to lower radiation dose when imaging children.
- Our experienced technologists are comfortable working with children. They will educate you and your child about what to expect during an imaging scan. They use special techniques to help position your child to get the best image. Lead shielding is used, when needed, to protect the child's body as much as possible from radiation.
- Our Child Life specialists help calm and relax your child before, during and after a scan. They know many ways to help your child cope during a test. Distraction and relaxation techniques are often used such as listening to music, watching movies, and playing with games or toys.
- If you or your child have any concerns about a scheduled test, team members are available to speak with you to answer questions.
Patients and families:
- To schedule an appointment with our imaging department, please call Central Scheduling at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280. To schedule an appointment with interventional radiology, please call (414) 266-3152.
- Follow instructions very carefully before and after imaging tests for your child's safety and comfort.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based
e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses.
e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this Web page, email us or call (414) 266-6556.