Adrian Miranda, MD
Return to Our Specialists page.
- Pediatric Chronic Abdominal Pain.
- Pediatric Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders.
- Visceral pain Mechanisms.
- General Gastroenterology.
- Pediatric Gastroenterology.
Undergraduate: San Diego State University
Medical School: Medical College of Wisconsin
Pediatric Residency: Medical College of Wisconsin and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Fellowship: Medical College of Wisconsin and Children/s Hospital of Wisconsin
- Principle Investigator: Neuronal Changes in Adult Rats Induced by Neonatal Pain NIH K08 DK076198-01A1.
- Co-Investigator: Neural Plasticity and Development of Chronic Pelvic Pain NIH 1R56DK089493-01.
- Principle Investigator: A retrospective review of longitudinal patterns of pain, symptoms, and disability in children with functional abdominal pain.
- Principle Investigator: Sleep and Pediatric Functional Abdominal Pain, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
- Included in Best Doctors in America list 2009-2011.
- Outstanding Teacher of the Full-Time Pediatric Faculty Award, 2007.
Peer Reviewed Research Awards
- NASPGHAN, Neurogastroenterology and Motility Basic Science Award, Orlando, FL. 2011.
- Basic Science Award, International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. Milwaukee, WI, 2011.
- Young Investigator Award, American Gastroenterologic Association's Functional Brain Gut, San Diego, CA, 2008.
- REGAL Award for outstanding research in the field of Gastroenterology. San Francisco, CA, 2005.
- Young Investigator Award, World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Paris, France, 2004.
- Young Investigator Award, Greater Chicago Gut Club, Chicago, IL, 2004.
- Fellows Basic Research Award, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 2003.
Invited lectures/Workshops/Presentations/Site visits
- Adrian Miranda, Visceral Pain: From Basics To Bedside, Primer Curso de Gastroenterologia Pediatrica, Mexico D.F., Mexico, 2010.
- Adrian Miranda, The Child with Abdominal Pain Primer Curso de Gastroenterologia Pediatrica, Mexico D.F., Mexico, 2010.
- Adrian Miranda Early Life Events: What happens to children with functional bowel disorders? International Meeting of Neurogastroenterology and Motility, Lucerne, Switzerland 2008.
- Adrian Miranda, Effects of the 5HT3 Receptor Antagonist, Alosetron, in a Rat Model of Somatic and Visceral Hyperalgesia, 2nd World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. Paris, France, 2004.
- Adrian Miranda, Sleep Interruption Activates the Periaqueductal Grey Region and Results in Visceral and Somatic Hypersensitivity in Rats, North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) national conference. Orlando, Florida, 2011.
- Adrian Miranda, Research Funding: Present and Future. NASPGHAN Second year Pediatric Gastroenterology Fellows Conference, Phoenix Arizona, 2011.
- Adrian Miranda, Manuscript Preparation and Submission. NASPGHAN Second year Pediatric Gastroenterology Fellows Conference, Phoenix Arizona, 2011.
- Adrian Miranda, Pediatric IBS Treatments, NASPGHAN - CDHNF Clinical and Scientific Conference, San Diego, CA, 2008.
- Adrian Miranda, Early Life Events and Functional Abdominal Pain. New insights into childhood functional abdominal pain and IBS: A multidisciplinary approach National Symposium, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2007.
- Adrian Miranda, The Role of NMDA Receptors in Chronic Visceral Hyperalgesia Following a Neonatal Somatic Stimulus. Digestive Disease Week. Washington D.C.,2007.
- Adrian Miranda, A New Model of Visceral Hyperalgesia in Neonatal Rats. North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) national conference, New Orleans, LA, 2005.
- Adrian Miranda, Abdominal Pain in Children, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Grand Rounds. Milwaukee, WI 2011.
- Adrian Miranda, Dietary management of Functional Abdominal Pain in Children, ASPEN Conference, Chicago, IL 2008.
- Adrian Miranda, Celiac Disease, Grand Rounds, Nena, WI2007.
- Adrian Miranda, Non-surgical Abdominal Pain-office and emergency room work-up, Grays Lake 2007.
- Adrian Miranda, Visceral Pain; From Bench to Bedside. Greater Chicago Gut Club. Chicago, IL 2006.
- Adrian Miranda, Abdominal Pain in Children. Grand Rounds. Fox Valley, WI 2005.
- Adrian Miranda, Management of abdominal pain in children. Best Practices in Pediatrics Winter Conference, Wisconsin Dells, WI 2004.
Refereed journal publications/Original papers
- Chogle A, Sztainberg M, Youssef NN, Miranda A, Nurko S, Hyman P, Cocjin J, Di Lorenzo C, Saps M. Parental report of abdominal pain and abdominal pain-related functional gastrointestinal disorders: A community survey. J Pediat Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012 in Press.
- Mickle A, Miranda A, Banerjee B, Sengupta JN. Pronociceptive effect of serotonin 5-HT1A receptor agonist in visceral pain involves spinal NMDA receptor. Neuroscience. 2012 In Press.
- Chogle A, Sztainberg M, Youssef NN, Miranda A, Nurko S, Hyman P, Cocjin J, Di Lorenzo C, Saps M. . Accuracy of pain recall in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012 in Press.
- Greenley RN, Kunz JH, Biank V, Martinez A, Miranda A, Noe J, Telega G, Tipnis NA, Werlin S, Stephens MC. Identifying youth nonadherence in clinical settings: Data-based recommendations for children and adolescents with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012;18:1254-9.
- Miranda A, Mickle A, Schmidt J, Zhang Z, Shaker R, Banerjee B, Sengupta JN. Neonatal cystitis-induced colonic hypersensitivity in adult rats: A model of viscero-visceral convergence. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011;23:683.
- Sood M, Di Lorenzo C, Hyams J , Simpson P, Mousa H, Miranda A, Sandla K, Nurko S. Beliefs and attitudes of general pediatricians and pediatric gastroenterologists regarding functional gastrointestinal disorders - A survey study. World Gastroenterolgy. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2011;50:891-6.
- Mickle A, Sood M, Zhang Z, Shahmohammadi G, Sengupta JN, Miranda A. Antinociceptive effects of melatonin in a rat model of post-inflammatory visceral hyperalgesia: A centrally mediated process. PAIN. 2010;149:555-64.
- Adamiak T, Altaf, M, Jensen MK, Sultan M, Ramprasad R, Ciecierega T, Sherry K, Miranda A. Single day preparation with polyethylene glycol (PEG) 3350: an effective regimen for colonoscopy in children. Gastrointest Endosc.2010;71:573-7.
- Saps M, Youssef N, Miranda A, Nurko S, Kagalwalla A, Di Lorenzo C. A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled, multi-center trial of amitriptyline in children with functional abdominal pain. Gastroenterology, 2009;137:1261-9.
- Miranda A, Mickle A, Medda BK, Phillips RJ, Tipnis N, Reza Shaker, Powley TL, Sengupta J N. Altered mechanosensitive properties of vagal afferent fibers innervating the stomach following gastric surgery in rats. Neuroscience, 2009;162:1299-306.
- Banani B, Medda BK, Zheng Y, Miller H, Miranda A, Sengupta JN, Shaker R. Alterations in N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunits in primary sensory neurons following acid-induced esophagitis in cats. American Journal of Physiology - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 2009;296:G66-77.
- Dua, K, Miranda A, Santharam R, Ramanujam S, Werlin S. Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP) in the evaluation of abdominal pain in children. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2008;68:1081-5.
- Miranda A, Nordstrom E, Mannem A, Smith C, Banerjee B, Sengupta JN. The role of transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 in mechanical and chemical visceral hyperalgesia following experimental colitis.Neuroscience. 2007;148:1021-32.
- Smith C, Nordstrom E, Sengupta JN, Miranda A. Neonatal gastric suctioning results in chronic visceral and somatic hyperalgesia: role of corticotropin releasing factor. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2007;19:692-9.
- Smith CR, Miranda A, Rudolph CD, Sood MR. Removal of impacted food in children with eosinophilic esophagitis using saeed banding device. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007;44:521-523.
- Miranda A, Peles S, McLean PG, Sengupta JN.Effects of the 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, alosetron, in a rat model of somatic and visceral hyperalgesia. Pain. 2006;126:54-63.
- Miranda A, Peles S, Shaker R, Rudolph C, Sengupta JN. Neonatal nociceptive somatic stimulation differentially modifies the activity of spinal neurons in rats and results in altered somatic and visceral sensation. J Physiol. 2006;572:775-87.
- Peles S, Miranda A, Shaker R, Sengupta JN. Acute nociceptive somatic stimulus sensitizes neurones in the spinal cord to colonic distension in the rat. J Physiol. 2004;560:291-302.
- Miranda A, Peles S, Rudolph C, Shaker R, Sengupta JN. Altered visceral sensation in response to somatic pain in the rat. Gastroenterology. 2004;126:1082-9.
- Kugathasan S, Miranda A, Nocton J, Drolet BA, Raasch C, Binion DG. Dermatologic manifestations of Crohn disease in children: response to infliximab. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2003;37:150-4.