Quality and Outcomes Reports - Herma Heart Center
Cardiac Transplant/Heart Failure Clinic Volume
Why we measure it- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee created two subspecialty clinics, the Heart Transplant Clinic and the Heart Failure Clinic, to meet the unique care needs of our most critical heart patients. Our patient volumes continue to increase every year as more parents are choosing Children's Hospital to treat their children with complex congenital heart disease.
What this means - Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures. We created two specialty clinics, our Heart Transplant Clinic and our Heart Failure Clinic. These clinics help us to meet the complex and special needs of children with complex cardiac needs. Clinic volumes have steadily increased over the past four years.
About the data - This graph shows the number of patient visits to both of our clinics from 2009 to 2012.
Related dimensions of care:
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- Herma Heart Center offers the only pediatric Heart Transplant Clinic and Heart Failure Clinic in the state.
- Our Heart Failure and Heart Transplant clinics are two completely separate clinics serving patients with specific needs. However, they work together with a variety of other pediatric specialists to coordinate outpatient care for these children.
- The Heart Failure Clinic brings together physicians from a variety of specialties to focus on the areas of muscular dystrophy, metabolic disease, cardiomyopathy and children with failing single ventricle physiology.
- Our specialists work closely with referring physicians by offering patient consultations, second opinions, and detailed transition of care plans for when a child returns home after surgery.
- Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and schedule appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations like Ronald McDonald House and Kathy's House to offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel chains on our referral list also offer discounts for families.
Patients and families:
- If you need to schedule or reschedule an appointment, please call Central Scheduling at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280 as soon as possible.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment so we can gather needed information from you before you see the doctor.
- Check with your insurance provider before your visit to see if a referral is needed to see a specialist at Children's Hospital.
- Bring the name, address, phone and fax numbers of your primary care and/or referring doctor so we can update them appropriately on your care.
- Bring a full list of the medications your child is taking including over-the-counter medicines such as vitamins and supplements.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses. e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this Web page, email us or call (414) 266-6556.