Quality and Outcomes Reports - Herma Heart Center
Fetal Cardiac Program Volume
Why we measure it- The Fetal Cardiac Program at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee was developed to provide specialized care for women whose pregnancies are complicated by concerns of fetal heart problems. Early diagnosis and planning can lead to a better outcome for the baby. Treatment, in some cases, can be started while the mother is still pregnant and surgical procedures can be planned immediately after birth. Our specialists saw over 400 patients in clinic in 2012.
What this means - Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures. Clinic volumes have increased as more women are choosing Children's Hospital for their care.
About the data - This graph shows the number of patient visits to the Fetal Cardiac clinic from 2009 through 2012.
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- Herma Heart Center is one of the nation's top programs for medical and surgical treatment of congenital heart disease.
- The Fetal Cardiac Program was developed to focus on patients with congenital heart conditions and their unique and specialized treatment needs.
- Our experienced cardiologists use the latest ultrasound technology to perform and understand prenatal heart ultrasounds.
- One of the many services we offer is fetal echocardiography. This procedure is done to look for abnormalities in the fetus' heart structure, rhythm and function. Our specialists also attend appointments and arrange consultations with adult specialists needed for the mother as well.
- We offer many outreach facilities and surgical sites to reduce the number of trips families need to make to our Milwaukee hospital location. Our specialists travel to or are located in several cities throughout Wisconsin and in Crystal Lake, Illinois to provide care close to home. In addition to the main location in Milwaukee, we offer other clinics in Fond du Lac, Kenosha, New Berlin, Neenah and Waukesha. We also perform some surgeries if needed at Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee as well.
Patients and families:
- If you need to schedule or reschedule an appointment, please call Central Scheduling at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280 as soon as possible.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment so we can gather needed information from you before you see the doctor.
- Check with your insurance provider before your visit to see if a referral is needed to see a specialist at Children's Hospital.
- Bring the name, address, phone and fax numbers of your primary care and/or referring doctor so we can update them appropriately on your care.
- Bring a full list of the medications your child is taking including over-the-counter medicines such as vitamins and supplements.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based
e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses.
e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this Web page, email us or call (414) 266-6556.