Quality and Outcomes Reports - Imaging (Radiology)
Why we measure it - The pediatric radiologists at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin are experts in choosing the best type of imaging test needed to diagnose medical problems. They understand children's bodies which helps them decide the exact area on the body that needs to be imaged. Our team of experts take a high-quality picture the first time around. This helps us to reduce the number of times we have to repeat the same type of test.
What this means - We need to repeat an image less than 5 percent of the time. Fewer scans mean less radiation exposure for your child and less trips to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin clinic locations.
About the data - These data show how much lower our numbers are for repeating tests compared to the national average. The national average repeat rate is 9 percent for adult facilities. Pediatric national average repeat rate data are currently not available for us to use for comparison purposes.
Related dimensions of care:
What we're doing to provide the best care:
Our pediatric radiologists and technologists meet regularly to review patient cases and discuss new ways to improve our care.
- We are a part of the Image Gently campaign, an initiative of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging. The campaign goal is to increase awareness of the opportunities to lower radiation dose when imaging children.
- Our imaging staff members are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Our experienced technologists are comfortable working with children. They will educate you and your child about what to expect during an imaging procedure. They use special techniques to help position your child to get the best image. Lead shielding is used, when needed, to protect the child's body as much as possible from radiation.
- Our Child Life specialists help calm and relax your child before, during and after a scan. They know many ways to help your child cope during a test. Distraction and relaxation techniques are often used such as listening to music, watching movies, and playing with games or toys.
- If you or your child have any concerns about a scheduled test, team members are available to speak with you to answer questions.
Patients and families:
- To schedule an appointment with our imaging department, please call Central Scheduling at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280. To schedule an appointment with interventional radiology, please call (414) 266-3152.
- Follow instructions very carefully before and after imaging tests for your child's safety and comfort.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based
e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses.
e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this Web page, email us or call (414) 266-6556.