Quality and Outcomes Reports - Anesthesiology
Volume by Complexity - Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Surgicenter
Why we measure it - Research shows that physicians and hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes, even for complex cases. To measure complexity, we assess all patients before surgery using a scoring system called American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) physical status score. This system helps predict the risk of complications and helps us match patients with the right resources. We are very experienced in taking care of children with highly complex medical problems from newborns through adolescents.
What this means - We care for patients in different environments based on their needs. Same-day surgery and less complicated procedures in healthier patients can be safely performed at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Surgicenter with greater convenience to families. Complex procedures on very sick children can be performed safely at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee location due to our highly trained pediatric specialists, skilled teams and excellent technology and resources.
About the data - These data reflect the total number of Anesthesia cases by complexity performed at Surgicenter as recorded in our operating room data system. The America Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) physical score is an assessment tool which measures the complexity of an illness. It also classifies the illness into different categories and determines requirements for higher levels of care and assesses the risk of complications.
Related dimensions of care:
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- Our anesthesiologists are board certified in anesthesiology and have completed at least one additional year of pediatric anesthesiology training or experience. Many staff also has subspecialty training in pediatric critical care, medical care and pain management.
- Team members use the latest equipment and therapies and have access to a variety of subspecialty teams such as pain management, critical care, orthopedics, neurosurgical, cardiac and complex airway management.
- Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and coordinate appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations like Ronald McDonald House and Kathy's House to offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel chains on our referral list also offer discounts for patient families.
Patients and families:
- Take a virtual tour, which will help prepare patients and families for the procedure and hospital stay.
- Follow all eating and drinking restrictions before surgery.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based
e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses.
e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about these data or information, email us or call (414) 266-6556.