Child Protection Center, Milwaukee
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin's Child Protection Center provides assessments to children who may have been harmed. The goal of the center is to protect children from abuse and provide resources to help them heal.
Downtown Health Center
1020 N. 12th St.
Phone: (414) 277-8980
In addition to providing case reviews, expert court testimony and professional consultations, the Child Protection Center provides the following services:
- Child abuse assessment: The assessment process includes a complete medical examination and an interview with a social worker specially trained to work with traumatized kids. All work is carefully documented on videotape or DVD to meet judicial standards.
- Referral: Following assessment, suspected victims of abuse will be referred by center staff members to psychological counselors, family counselors, medical care and psychiatric and developmental rehabilitation specialists in their home communities who can aid in their recoveries.
- Professional and community education: The center provides ongoing training to law enforcement officers, social workers, physicians, nurses and other professionals in the Milwaukee area, and facilitates the sharing of research in investigative techniques.
- Foster care health checks: A complete physical is provided for all children entering a foster-care environment. Foster care health screening aims to:
- Document recent signs of abuse/neglect.
- Ensure children receive quality, consistent and timely health evaluations.
- Encourage and support children receiving on-going quality health care.
- Improve the health of children in foster care.
- Every child who enters a Milwaukee County foster home receives a medical screening at the Child Protection Center. The medical screening includes a physical exam and a medical history and background check.
- Child Protection Center staff discusses the results with the child's foster parents, if available. A complete report will be mailed to the child's caseworker. Staff also will assist in making any necessary primary care, mental health or other medical follow-up appointments.
Interested in volunteering at the Child Protection Center? Learn more about the requirements and download the application form.
Watch our video:
The Child Protection Center is a collaboration between Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and the following community partners:
Aurora Sinai Sexual Assault Treatment Center
Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare
City of Milwaukee Health Department
Milwaukee Police Department
Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department
Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office
Sojourner Family Peace Center
West Allis Police Department
West Allis Public Schools