What is a transition plan?
- A transition plan is a written plan based on transition needs or issues that should to be addressed before a youth is ready to transition to adult care.
- After transition issues have been identified, action steps should be developed with input from the youth and his or her family. A responsible person and goal date should be identified for each action step.
What are some issues that the youth and family may need to address as part of the transition plan?
- Self-management of medical condition
- Self-management of medications.
- Self-management of equipment/supplies.
- Management of financial issues
- Adult decision-making
- Adult services
- Education plans after high school
- Employment plans
- Independent living, housing, transportation and recreation