Self-management and self-advocacy
- How well does the youth understand the plan of care? Make sure he or she can explain the treatment plan and be able to list medications, the reason for taking medications and any side effects.
- What is the emergency plan of care? If necessary, use a medical alert bracelet or system.
- Does the patient have the necessary information to schedule and coordinate appointments? Identify providers, frequency of contacts and how to reach them.
- Insure the patient has the required information to order medications, supplies and equipment.
- Encourage the patient to write down health-related questions before appointments.
- Inform health care providers which family members are involved in the decision making regarding transition and medical care.
- Create a list that provides all resources for addressing transition-related needs and questions.