The Volunteer Process
The process to become a volunteer is thorough and can take 6-8 weeks to complete if your application is accepted. Please review all of the information and requirements for our volunteer program before applying.
- Children's Hospital volunteers are committed people ages 16 and older with diverse backgrounds.
- Volunteer assignments are the same day and time each week, and a minimum of 2 hours for a minimum time period of 6 consecutive months.
- We are fortunate to receive many volunteer applications. Our opportunities are based on service needs, so we match our applicants' skills, availability and experience to our current needs. If an opportunity is available, we will contact you regarding next steps.
- Because of the overwhelming response of our community, we may not be able to place you as a volunteer. We will keep your application on file for 60 days.
- Please note: Family and friend visiting increases during evening and weekend hours. Therefore, the demand for evening and weekend volunteers is not as great as weekday shifts. Our greatest need for volunteers is before 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- All of our volunteer assignments are in areas that have requested volunteer support and are not potential job openings. The object of becoming a volunteer is to support patients, families and staff.
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is not able to guarantee service hours.
Our volunteer requirements have been put in place to protect the health, safety and confidentiality of our patients, families and staff.
- All applicants must be at least 16 years old to apply. We are unable to accept applications prior to an individual's 16th birthday.
- A signed and completed Background Information Disclosure form is required for all applicants ages 18 and older.
- All application pages and statements must be completed and signed.
The Reference Form attached to the application must be completed and signed by an employer, coworker, teacher or coach. References from friends and relatives are not acceptable.
- The Volunteer Health Assessment form must be completed and official immunization records outlined on the form must be returned with the application.
- Due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to process, consider, or retain incomplete applications.
- We ask that all communication with Volunteer Services Department Staff (phone calls, emails, etc.) come directly from the applicant. We do not accept third-party inquiries.
If you are able to fulfill our commitment requirements, we welcome your application. Regular volunteer applications can be downloaded and printed using the links below. The first page of the application packet contains a checklist for your convenience, as well as instructions for submitting your completed application.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. We will resume taking applications after July 2, 2013, for August and September start dates in our year-round volunteer program. Please visit our website after July 2, 2013, to apply.
Summer 2013 volunteer program
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
Our Summer 2013 program has reached capacity and we are no longer accepting applications.
Invitations for our Summer orientation session will be sent to qualified applicants after May 3, 2013.
Information and applications for the Summer 2014 volunteer program will be available on our website after April 1, 2014.
If you are interested in volunteering at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Neenah, Wis., check the Fox Valley Volunteer Opportunities page.
Last update: April 29, 2013