Quality and Outcomes Reports - Ear, Nose and Throat
Surgical Volume - Overall
What this means - More patients and families are choosing our care and more procedures are being performed at our facility.
About the data - This graph reflects the number of visits captured in our registration system in years 2008-2011.
Related dimensions of care:
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- We perform many outpatient procedures at our Surgicenter location near the Milwaukee hospital, approximately 10 minutes from Children's Hospital. Here, patients may be scheduled sooner and enjoy the convenience of a smaller facility, while being cared for by the same pediatric ENT surgeons and pediatric anesthesiologists they would see at the hospital.
- We added inpatient beds with the hospital expansion. We also increased the number of recovery, consultation and waiting rooms at our Surgicenter location.
- All of our pediatric otolaryngologists are fellowship-trained.
- We have pediatric-trained anesthesiologists and an excellent Pediatric Intensive Care Unit staffed by pediatric experts.
- We have two nurses dedicated to the care of tracheostomy patients, from the initial evaluation and surgery through long-term follow-up. A discharge coordinator also helps arrange for home nursing care for patients.
- We have a team including nurses and advanced practice nurses to help coordinate inpatient care and smooth the transition to outpatient care.
- We are using a process improvement initiative in the surgery area to enhance efficiencies and allow health care providers to focus on quality interactions with their patients.
- We provide a nurse call line so parents can reach a nurse or doctor quickly with any questions or concerns. Parents can call (414) 266-7514 during clinic hours (9 am - 5 pm weekdays) and a nurse will call back within two hours. After hours or on weekends and holidays, parents can call (414) 805-3666 and ask for the ENT doctor on call.
- Families traveling from long distances are encouraged to use our Family Accommodations Program to make travel arrangements and coordinate appointments. Children's Hospital has partnered with non-profit organizations like Ronald McDonald House and Kathy's House to offer comfortable, "home away from home" accommodations. Local hotel chains on our referral list also offer discounts for patient families.
Patients and families:
- Take a pre-operative tour, which will help prepare patients and families for the procedure and hospital stay.
- Follow all eating and drinking restrictions before surgery.
- Bring a list of the medications your child takes with you on the day of the surgery. Make sure to include the name of the medication, the dose/amount and how your child takes it (swallows a pill, drinks a liquid). This is important information to help us care for your child while he or she is in the hospital.
- Provide your referring doctor's name and address so we can send a detailed letter about the surgery that is performed.
- If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, please call Central Scheduling, at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280 as soon as possible to reschedule so another child can be seen.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based
e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses.
e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this information, email us or call (414) 266-6556.