Quality and Outcomes Reports - Ear, Nose and Throat
Patient and Family Experience
Why we measure it - For us to understand how we are doing, we ask our patients and families to tell us about their care experiences. Our goal is for everyone to have the best possible experience with us, so while "very good" is a great answer, we use only the response "excellent" to track our progress. We also know that patients and families who rate their care as "excellent" will most likely refer others to our care.
What this means - This data reflects the percentage of patients and families who had a visit to the ENT Clinic and responded "excellent" or "very good" to the survey question, "Overall how would you rate the care you received at this visit?" The response options are: excellent, very good, good, fair and poor.
About the data - Children's Hospital of Wisconsin uses a third-party vendor to survey patients and families and obtain feedback about their overall experience. Children's Hospital uses the feedback from this survey to direct changes that will improve the patient and family experience.
Related dimensions of care:
What we're doing to provide the best care:
- We provide a nurse call line so parents can reach a nurse or doctor quickly with any questions or concerns. Parents can call (414) 266-7514 during clinic hours (9 am - 5 pm weekdays) and a nurse will call back within two hours. After hours or on weekends and holidays, parents can call (414) 805-3666 and ask for the ENT doctor on call.
- To improve our clinic flow and patients' experience, we asked parents to help redesign our waiting and teaching rooms in the ENT Clinic.
- We also currently working to improve our teaching materials and patient satisfaction scores, as well as reduce our wait times.
- We expanded our hours and now offer appointments in the evening.
- Our entire staff has been trained in good customer service and meet as a team to identify ways they could improve patient satisfaction.
- We encourage partnerships with open, ongoing communication between family members and health care providers. Our Family Advisory Committee is made up of parents and hospital staff to improve communication, quality of care and hospital amenities.
- We offer the Family Accommodations Program to help make travel arrangements and coordinate appointments for families traveling to our center from a long distance.
- Based on the feedback we receive from patients and families, we continue to change current practices and implement new ideas to create a better patient experience.
- Our specialists see patients at two other locations in Milwaukee (Greenway Clinic and New Berlin Clinic) to give patients and families options for the location of their care.
Patients and families:
- You may receive a patient satisfaction survey. Please share your experience with us. Let us know what is important to you and any suggestions you have for improvement.
- If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, please call Central Scheduling, at (877) 607-5280 or (414) 607-5280 as soon as possible to reschedule so another child can be seen.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment so we can gather needed information from you before you see the doctor.
- Check with your insurance provider before your visit to see if a referral is needed to see a specialist at Children's Hospital.
- Referring physicians can access our specialists for consultation or transport 24 hours a day. Call our physician referral line at (800) 266-0366.
- Health care providers from outside of our southeastern Wisconsin service area are encouraged to use our web-based
e-Consult service. This service is available for non-urgent patient cases only and gives providers access to our specialists to review patient cases, obtain medical advice or second opinions, and receive care recommendations for rare symptoms and illnesses.
e-Consult is not to be used by the general public, parents/guardians or families.
- Care guidelines for medical professionals
- Educational materials
- Pocket Directory
If you have questions about this information, email us or call (414) 266-6556.