Sports Medicine Program
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin offers the only sports medicine program in Milwaukee and Wisconsin that is just for young athletes. Our goal is to make sure your kids are healthy — and can get back to the activities they enjoy — as soon as possible. We work closely with parents, coaches and other specialists to provide care plans that fit each child's specific needs.
Our health care professionals understand that kids' injuries need special treatment. Because how an injury is treated can affect your child's growth. Kevin Walter, MD, leads our team.
Video: Dr. Walter discusses our Sports Medicine Program
- Stay informed about important youth sports topics: Read the latest sports medicine blog posts and connect with us on our sports medicine Facebook page.
- Learn from our specialists: Watch our featured videos, including the newest one on sprains and strains.
- Baseline concussion tests: Kids involved in contact sports like hockey, soccer or football have a higher risk of getting a concussion. To help improve concussion care, we offer baseline concussion tests. Learn more.
We care for children and adolescents with a range of issues, including:
Less than 200 physicians in the nation are board certified in pediatrics and sports medicine. Kevin Walter, MD, and Shayne Fehr, MD, Children's Hospital pediatric sports medicine specialists, are two of those physicians.
Nationally known orthopedics center
Fortunately, most sports injuries in children can be handled without surgery. However, when surgery is necessary Children's Hospital offers the most cutting-edge techniques and treatment available. Our orthopedic surgeons are consistently rated among the Best Doctors in America.
The most advanced diagnostic therapies are available, including CT and MRI testing. Board-certified pediatric radiologists read all images in collaboration with orthopedic and sports medicine specialists.
Children's Hospital provides a comprehensive range of rehabilitation services for kids including:
- Physical therapy in a state-of-the-art gym
- Guidelines for safe return to play
- Injury prevention and education
Pediatric orthopedic and sports medicine specialists partner with physical therapists and a certified athletic trainer to develop long-term treatment and activity plans.