Leah Solberg Woods, PhD
Investigator, Children's Research Institute; assistant professor, Pediatrics/Genomics, Medical College of Wisconsin.
Genetics of type 2 diabetes.
Doctorate, Northwestern University, Chicago, 2002; post-doctoral fellow, Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics (Jonathan Flint), University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 2004; post-doctoral fellow, Human and Molecular Genetics Center (Howard Jacob), Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 2007.
Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society, 1995; Alpha Zeta Mu Academic Honor Society, 1995; Academic Scholarship, Central College, Pella, IA, 1995; Iowa Psychological Association Scholarship Award, 1994, 2nd place Award, Great Plains Annual Psychology Convention, Chicago, 1994; Nussbaum Award, Neuroscience Day Presentation, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2001; Travel Scholarship, Keystone Symposium, Breckenridge, CO, 2004; Travel Scholarship Short Course on Complex Trait Analysis, Jackson Laboratories, MA, 2006; Travel Scholarship, Rat Genome Meeting, Melbourne, Australia, 2006.
- Valdar W, Solberg LC, Gauguier D, Burnett, S Klenerman , P, Cookson WO, Taylor MS, Rawlins JN, Mott R, Flint J. Genome-wide Genetic Association of Complex Traits in Heterogeneous Stock Mice. Nature Genetics. 2006; 38(8):879-87.
- Nobrega MA*, Solberg Woods LC*, Fleming S, Jacob HJ. Distinct Genetic Regulation of the Progression of Diabetes and Renal Disease in the Gogo-Kakizaki (GK) rat. Physiological Genomics. 2009; 39(1):38-46. *These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Solberg Woods LC, Ahmadiyeh N, Baum A, Shimomura K, Li Q, Steiner DF, Turek FW, Takahashi JS, Churchill GA, Redei EE. Identification of Genetic Loci Involved in Diabetes Using a Rat Model of depression. Mammalian Genome. 2009; 20(8):486-97. PMCID: 2775460.
- Solberg Woods LC, Holl K, Tschannen M, Valdar W. Fine-mapping a Locus for Glucose Tolerance using Heterogeneous Stock Rats. Physiological Genomics. 2010; 3:41(1):102-8. PMCID: 2841497. http://www.scivee.tv/node/16585.
- Solberg Woods LC, Stelloh C, Regner KR, Schwabe T, Eisenhauer J, Garrett MR. Heterogeneous Stock Rats: A New Model to Study the Genetics of Renal Phenotypes. American Journal of Physiology - Renal Physiology. 2010; 298(6):F1484-91. PMCID: 2886820.
- Solberg Woods LC, Woods BC, Leitschuh CM, Laurie SJ, Jacob HJ. Rat Chromosome 8 Confers Protection Against Dylipidemia cause by a High Fat/Low Carbohydrate Diet. Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics. 2012, 5:81-93.
- Integrative Biology of Childhood Kidney Disease, National Institutes of Health, pilot and feasibility recipient.
- Genome-wide Fine-mapping of Metabolic Traits in Heterogenerous Stock Rats, National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Kidney Disease, principal investigator.
- Next Generation Sequencing to Identify Candidate Variants Involved in Glucose Regulation, Children's Research Institute, principal investigator.
- Gene Expression in HS Rats to Identify Novel Genes and Pathways Involved in Glucose Regulation, Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin: Research for a Healthier Tomorrow, principal investigator.
- Fine-mapping NIDDM1 using Heterogeneous Stock Rats, National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Kidney Disease, principal investigator.
TBRC/CRI 2nd Floor
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Phone: (414) 955-2354
Fax: (414) 955-6538
Investigator in the areas of: