Michael E. Mitchell, MD
Pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
Associate professor, Surgery (Cardiothoracic), the Medical College of Wisconsin.
Cardiothoracic Surgery, Pediatric
Heart disease, fetal and neonatal cardiac surgery, genetics of congenital heart disease, pediatric cardiac surgery, prenatal and neonatal diagnosis and outcomes, pediatric tracheal surgery
- American Board of Surgery - General Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery - Congenital Heart Surgery
- American College of Surgery Fellow
MD:Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass. 1995.
Internship and junior residency: Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Mass. 1995-1998.
Senior Residency: Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, Mass. (General Surgery) 1998-2000.
Chief Residency: Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, Mass. (General Surgery) 2000-2001.
Residency: Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, Mass. (Cardiothoracic Surgery) 2001-2002.
Chief Residency: Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, Mass. (Cardiothoracic Surgery) 2002-2003.
Fellowship: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa. (Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery) 2003-2004.
- 2004-2006: Assistant professor of Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, Ky.
- 2006-Present: Associate professor of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, the Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis.
- 2006-Present: Associate professor, Human & Molecular Genetics Center, the Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis.
- 2006-Present: Associate professor, Individualized Medicine Institute, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis.
- 2008-Present: Adjunct professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department, Perfusion Program, Milwaukee School of Engineering, Milwaukee, Wis.
- 2008-Present: Associate professor and Collaborating Faculty, Center for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, the Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis.
- 2010-Present: Associate director of the Children's Research Institute Advisory Board, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Memberships in Professional and Honorary Societies:
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American College of Cardiology
American College of Surgeons
American Medical Association
Association for Academic Surgery
Castaneda Society for Congenital Heart Surgery
Congenital Heart Surgeons Society
International Fetal Medicine and Surgery Society
International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
Midwest Pediatric Cardiology Society
Sigma XI, The Scientific Research Society
Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Society of Transplant Surgeons
Southern Thoracic Surgical Association
World Society of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
- Regional/Local/Appointed Leadership and Committee Positions
2008-Present: State Wide Umbrella Immunodeficiency Newborn Screening Subcommittee
2008-Present: DiGeorge Syndrome (DGS1) working group
- National Elected/Appointed Leadership and Committee Positions
2007-Present: National Institutes of Health Pediatric Mechanical Support Device Committee
2010-Present: United Network for Organ Sharing, Region 7 Regional Heart Review Board Member
- Key/Senior Personnel and Mentor: Inflammation and Infection in Acquired and Congenital Cardiovascular Disease. National Institute of Health, 2009-2014.
- Mentor: Non-Invasive Method to Monitor Cardiac Transplant Rejection. Clinical and Translational Science Institute Pilot Grant, 2011.
- Co-Investigator: The National Children's Study - Vanguard Center HHSN275200503396C. Formative project within the pilot phase of the National Children's Study, 2011-2012.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Non-Invasive Method to Monitor Cardiac Transplant Rejection. Research Affairs Committee, the Medical College of Wisconsin, 2011-2012.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Comprehensive Genomic Analysis for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Mayo Clinic Foundation, 2011-2016.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Bioengineered Cardiac Tissue for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, Mayo Clinic Foundation, 2011-2016.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Development of a Non-Invasive Test for Fetal Chromosomal Abnormalities. Tandem Diagnostics, 2011-2012.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Somatic Mutations in Congenital Heart Disease. University of Louisville, Multidisciplinary Research Grant, 2005.
- Principal Investigator: Pulsatile Pediatric Assist Device. University of Louisville, Research Initiation Grant, 2005.
- Co-Investigator: The Genetic Basis of Congenital Heart Disease. NIH COBRE award, University of Louisville, P20 RR17702-04 RM, 2005-2006.
- Co-Principal Investigator: A Non-Invasive Fetal Diagnostic Test for Chromosomal Abnormalities, Wallace Coulter Foundation, 2005-2007.
- Co-Principal Investigator: A Rat Model for Congenital Heart Disease. Medical College of Wisconsin/Children's Research Institute, 2007-2008.
- Principal Investigator: A Non-Invasive Diagnostic Test for Fetal Chromosomal Abnormalities Using Taqman. Medical College of Wisconsin, Inducement Grant Program, Biotechnology and Bioengineering Center, 2007-2008.
- Mentor/Principal Investigator: Newborn Screening Test for DiGeorge Syndrome. AATS Medical Student Research Fellowship, 2008.
- Co-Investigator: Development of Population-Based Screening For DiGeorge Syndrome Type1 1R21 HD060309-01. National Institute of Health, 2008-2011.
- Principal Investigator: Prospective Blinded Validation of a Non-Invasive Diagnostic Test for Fetal Chromosomal Abnormalities. A Healthier Wisconsin/Clinical & Translational Science Institute, 2009-2010.
- Co-Investigator: Development of a Non-Invasive Test for Fetal Chromosomal Abnormalities. Tandem Diagnostics, 2009-2011.
- Co-Investigator: Development of a Cost-Effective Newborn Screening Assay for DiGeorge Syndrome Type 1 (DGS1). Shaw Foundation, 2010-2011.
- Mitchell ME, Ittenbach RF, Gaynor JW, Wernovsky G, Nicolson S, Spray TL. Intermediate Outcomes after the Fontan Procedure in the Current Era. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006;131(1)172-80.
- Mitchell ME, Sander TL, Klinker DB, Tomita-Mitchell, A. The Molecular Basis of Congenital Heart Disease. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;19(3):228-37.
- Mitchell ME, Litwin SB, Tweddell JS. Complex Atrioventricular Canal. Semin Thoracic Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu. 2007:32-41.
- Draus JM, Hauck MA, Austin EH III, Goetsch M, Tomita-Mitchell A, Mitchell ME. Investigation of Somatic NKX2-5 Mutations in Congenital Heart Disease. J Med Genet. 2009;45(2)115-22.
- Gostjeva EV, Koledova V, Tomita-Mitchell A, Mitchell M, Goetsch M, Varmuza S, Fomina J, Darroudi, F and Thilly Wm. Metakaryotic Stem Cell Lineages in Organogenesis of Humans and other Metazoans. Organogenesis 2009;5(4):109-18.
- Tomita-Mitchell A, Mahnke DK, Larson JM, Ghanta S, Feng Y, Simpson PM, Broeckel U, Duffy K, Tweddell JS, Grossman WJ, Routes JM, Mitchell ME. Multiplexed Quantitative Real-time PCR to Detect 22q11.2 Deletion in Patients with Congenital Heart Disease. Physiol Genomics. 2010;42A(1):52-60.
- Ghanta S, Mitchell ME, Ames M, Hidestrand M, Simpson P, Goetsch M, Thilly WG, Struble CA, Tomita -Mitchell A. Non-invasive prenatal detection of trisomy 21 using tandem single nucleotide polymorphisms. PLoS One. 2010;5(10)e13184.
- Mitchell ME. Anterior Tracheal Suspension. Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2011;16(4):251-344.
- Andrew Sparks, Eric Wang, Craig Struble, Wade Barrett, Renee Stokowski, Celeste McBride, Jacob Zahn, Kevin Lee, Naiping Shen, Jigna Doshi, Michel Sun, Jill Garrison, Jay Sandler, Desiree Hollemon, Patrick Pattee, Aoy Tomita-Mitchell, Michael Mitchell, John Stuelpnagel, Ken Song, Arnold Oliphant. Selective Analysis of Cell-Free DNA in Maternal Blood for Evaluation of Fetal Trisomy. Prenat Diagn. 2012;32(1):3-9.
- Tomita-Mitchell A, Mahnke DK, Struble CA, Tuffnell ME, Stamm KD, Hidestrand M, Harris SE, Goetsch MA, Simpson PM, Bick DP, Broeckel U, Pelech AN, Tweddell JS, Mitchell ME. Human Gene Copy Number Spectra Analysis in Congenital Heart Malformations. Physiol Genomics. 2012 Feb 7. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID:22318994 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Herma Heart Center
PO Box 1997
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1997
Phone: (414) 266-2491
Investigator in the areas of: